An application for a New Year’s Eve party at Maiden’s Cove has been turned down by the Good Hope Subcouncil.The application by SP Events CC for the Secrets of Summer Concert was turned down because the event would have reportedly seen the public space privatised. Richard Bosman, Safety and Security executive director, confirmed that the application was not successful.“The event would have privatised the use of the area thereby excluding all other members of the community. It should be noted that Maiden’s Cove has a history of the people of Cape Town making extensive use of the area over the festive season. Furthermore, no road closures were applied for and a traffic management plan, sound plan and a noise exemption certificate were lacking,” he says.“Previous events hosted by the applicant over the same period were accompanied by excessive noise and antisocial behaviour, impacting negatively on the surrounding community. The blocking of the area for exclusive use by the applicant will deprive the greater community and tourists of enjoying the facility.”The event had been approved for the last two years, Bosman confirmed.Organiser of the Secrets of Summer Concert, Mark Abrahams, says in almost two decades of organising events, he has never had an event approved or declined via the subcouncil.According to a report in the subcouncil item, it was unanimously resolved that the application by SP Events CC for the use of Maiden’s Cove from Thursday 27 to Monday 31 December for a concert event be refused.The reasons for the refusal are that the event is not in the public interest and that the area would be privatised.Former ward councillor, Shayne Ramsay, added that at the subcouncil meeting, she had received many objections from the community against the application.According to media reports last year, there was public outrage over plans by the events company to shut down the Maiden’s Cove beach over New Year’s Eve for a private party.However, before the application arrived at subcouncil, the event planner and the City of Cape Town were at loggerheads.The report, which appeared at subcouncil, detailed how previous legal action had taken place, after the event’s provisional booking was “erroneously cancelled”. The applicant then took the matter to the High Court, with the City and applicant agreeing to settle the matter and that the City would reinstate the booking.In response, the applicant’s lawyers submitted documentation which stated that various events applications have been previously approved by the City and that they were not aware of any public sentiment against the events. In addition, the attorneys argued that the event, which attracts up to 10 000 people, does not exclude the general population and creates up to 700 jobs, along with a safe environment.The statement also explains that the matter has been ongoing since April, with SP Events CC set to suffer “enormous losses if the event does not proceed”.Abrahams confirmed yesterday (Monday) that he would be appealing the City’ decision and would be moving the event to another venue.