Don’t take wheelie bin for a spin

2016-09-13 06:00
Clearly marking your bin is encouraged to help police identify stolen bins. Residents are also urged not to leave their bins outside overnight.  PHOTO: Samantha Lee

Clearly marking your bin is encouraged to help police identify stolen bins. Residents are also urged not to leave their bins outside overnight. PHOTO: Samantha Lee

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Leaving your bins unattended could result in theft and police are issuing a warning to both residents and bin thieves.

The Mitchell’s Plain police issued a warning to residents that municipal bins will be confiscated from people found not using them for their intended purpose, which is the collection of residential refuse.

Often refuse bins are used to cart wood and other materials instead of collecting household rubbish.

People who are using bins for purposes other than storage of waste, like to transport sand and other goods, will be criminally prosecuted when found to be contravening the municipal by-laws.

“It is contravention of the municipal bylaw to use the roller bins to transport goods and to be removed from the property to which it has been assigned,” says police spokesperson Captain Ian Williams.

Police also request residents to record the serial numbers of their refuse bins (“Keep your refuse bin number close”, People’s Post, 19 January) following an increase in bin theft in the area.

The municipality requires a criminal case of theft to be registered whenever a bin is stolen.

When a serial number is provided, police will register the bin on their system, which makes it easier to recover it.

JP Smith, Mayco member for safety and security, says bins will be impounded.

“Currently there is no fine for someone who is found in possession of a wheelie bin. If found in possession of a stolen bin, the City will impound the asset and lay a charge against the person for being in possession of stolen property. Once a bin is recovered, it will be handed over to the City’s Solid Waste Management Department who will contact the original owners,” says Smith.

Residents are urged to report stollen bins to their nearest police station.

To apply for a replacement bin, the theft must be reported.

Residents are then urged to contact the City’s call centre with the case number, their municipal account number, address and contact name and number.

The current replacement cost for each bin is R565.50.

V Contact the call centre on 0860 103 089 or email

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


And the Paws24 and Hill's winners are ...

Find out who the winners of our Paws24 pet pics and Q&a competitions are...



Keep your family and pets safe from rabies
5 scientific benefits of owning a cat
Why we love cats
8 great natural remedies for your pet
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.