Fire wrecks homes

2016-04-12 06:00
Firefighters try to dose the blaze that left over 400 people homeless in Overcome Heights last Thursday.

Firefighters try to dose the blaze that left over 400 people homeless in Overcome Heights last Thursday.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Over 45 families from Overcome Heights are trying to rebuild their lives following a fire that left them homeless last Thursday morning.

The fire broke out at about 07:45 and gutted about 45 shacks, which left 425 people without a place to call home. It is alleged that the fire was started in one of the shacks where a candle was left burning. Residents suspect the wife of the shack owner might have passed out and slept leaving the candle on.

Another resident, Chantal Abrahams (39), says she was forced to go out after a strong smell of smoke. “It was just too much and I was choking. I couldn’t stay inside so I went out to see. As I stepped out I couldn’t believe it – the sky was thick with smoke. Shacks were on fire. Some people were trying to extinguish the fire, but it was just too much for them. Others managed to get some of their belongings out but most of the people were not at home and they lost most of their property. It’s so sad; people work really hard and for this to happen is really heartbreaking.”

No-one was injured in the fire as it happened when most people where not at home. However, this led to the loss of most of their belongings. The Human Settlements department provided starter kits for the victims to rebuild their houses.

Prudence Ntshangase from Where Rainbows Meet, an NGO in the area, said they will be providing the fire victims with clothes. “We are still trying to get them to rebuild their houses. We will also be helping them with clothes. When the fire started most of the people where not at home so the damage is rather much, but we will help those that are affected with clothes and food from our offices. Now the main focus is for them to get material and rebuild their homes; we will sort clothes out later,” she says.

Charlotte Powell from the City of Cape Town’s Fire and Rescue confirmed the fire. “Altogether 45 dwellings were destroyed by the blaze leaving 425 people affected. The South African Red Cross Society provided relief and Human Settlements also provided starter kits for the victims to rebuild their homes.”

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.