Help for new homeowners

2018-02-06 06:00

After more than 30 and sometimes 40 years on the housing waiting list, more than 190 residents of Eastridge, Beacon Valley and Tafelsig recently become homeowners as part of a redress initiative by the City of Cape Town.

The project, initiated several years ago, promised to see more than 40 000 renters on the Cape Flats receiving title deeds.

The new owners had been renting from the City of Cape Town for the past 30 years or more.

Several handover ceremonies were held at which residents received their deeds.

Councillor Solomon Philander handed over more than 60 deeds to residents in ward 79.

He says: “I would like to invite all new homeowners who are unable to afford their rates to visit the ward office to enquire about the indigent benefits from the City of Cape Town. We are committed to assisting indigent households, people living with disabilities and pensioners.”

Residents struggling in other areas are also able to visit their local offices to receive assistance.

There are still 3500 title deeds with the lawyers, and residents can visit the housing office to enquire if they are on the list to receive their deed.

Residents who would like to get onto the City’s housing database can register online or at the nearest City-run housing office.

To register online, visit the online housing database and fill in an application form.

To register offline, download and complete the Application for Housing Assistance/Accommodation form and hand it in at your nearest housing office.

In order to qualify to be placed on the database, you must be over the age of 18, married or cohabiting and not the owner of a property, or single with financial dependants who are able to prove their dependency (not applicable if you have a disability or are over the age of 60). You must be a South African citizen or be in possession of a permanent residence permit, be legally competent to sign a contract, be an individual who has not been a beneficiary of a government housing subsidy, and receive a gross monthly income (with your spouse/partner) that does not exceed R3500 per month.

To apply, you will need to submit a certified copy of your ID, a certified copy of your spouse’s ID (if applicable), certified copies of your or children’s birth certificates (if applicable) and certified copies of any marriage or divorce certificates.

V For assistance with rates rebates in ward 79, visit Block A, First Floor, Town Centre Taxi Rank, from Monday to Friday from 08:30 to 14:00, or call 021 448 5814 or 083 690 7772.V To find out if you are on the housing waiting list or the title deeds list, or to apply to be on the list, visit the housing office in Beacon Valley or call 021 376 1313.


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.