Irate Masiphumelele residents believe that one man’s attempt to cook up a midnight snack could have been the cause of the fatal fire which claimed one life and the homes of more than a thousand people.In the early hours of Monday 29 July, a fire erupted in the informal settlement, which took almost seven hours to extinguish. Nathi Cebisi, a resident who was not affected by the fire as his home falls just outside of the parameter of the shacks that were destroyed, says the community shares a theory of how it started. “All of this happened because of one person who was cooking while he was drunk,” he says. He added that many of the residents feel that the fire was caused as a direct result of a certain man’s continuous attempts to cook while drunk. “They’ve chased him away from this section before because he always does this, but he keeps coming back and now so many people are homeless,” he says.Sergeant Leon Fortuin confirms that an inquest docket has been opened, but cannot confirm the cause of the fire at this stage. V Anyone with information on the fire is kindly requested to contact Detective Constable Mbulelo Mendara on 021 783 8300.