Platform given to give voiceless a voice

2019-08-13 06:00

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A Facebook group to give women a voice was created after the body of Ottery resident, Meghan Cremer was found last week Thursday 8 August – a day before Women’s Day was celebrated.

Western Cape police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk confirmed that the body of the 30-year-old horse lover was found in Philippi in the early hours of Thursday morning.

The group, SA Woman Fight Back, was created on the same day and had 24 733 members by Monday 12 August.

One of the members of the group, Stellemarie Kruize from Marina Da Gama in Vrygrond, said this group was created to give women a voice who are not in a position to use their voices because they’re either dead or being abused.

“Meghan’s murder was the tipping point,” said Kruize.

She said women are frustrated because their voices are not being heard.

“The group is reaching out to connect with other bodies and authorities to make sure this case doesn’t go unrecognised and that her senseless death has not been in vain,” said Kruize.

Kruize said men and children also suffer under the hands of abuse but this is the battle they have chosen to fight now.

Van Wyk said Cremer, who lived on a farm, was reported missing on Saturday 3 August and seen wearing a green top and a pair of black tracksuit pants, and driving a white Toyota Auris at the time of her disappearance.

“On the same evening at about 20:00 police arrested three men aged 27, 34 and 35 for the illegal possession of the presumably stolen motor vehicle. An investigation brought to light that the car belonged to Cremer reported as missing to local police,” says Van Wyk.

Van Wyk confirmed that the investigation and search operation led the police to a sand mine on a Philippi farm on Thursday morning at around 01:00 where the body of the missing person was found.

Three men, Jeremy Sias, Charles Daniels and Shiraaz Jaftha appeared in court for the murder of Cremer and were charged with illegal possession of a presumably stolen vehicle

The group, SA Women Fight Back, will be hosting a No Bail Application protest for the men being accused of the Cremer’s murder on Thursday 15 August. A petition was also created to stop the alleged killers from getting bail and the numbers of signatures are growing by the second.

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.