Provincial education department announced that there are workshops planned for Salt River High School learners following an alleged xenophobic incident that happened at the school earlier this month.A Congolese Grade 10 learner was attacked by schoolmates on Monday 2 September. She was hospitalised due to the severity of her injuries and has not returned to school yet. Bronagh Hammond, the department’s spokesperson, says the school has, however, offered her alternatives for the writing of examinations.“We look forward to having the learner back at school and will provide the necessary support,” she says.According to Hammond the fight began with an argument regarding a recording of school attendance by the victim. She was performing her duty as a class monitor.Hammond says proper procedures were followed and the school seeks to teach learners how to better deal with conflict and mediation. “There are arguments among learners all the time in schools. These arguments stem from a variety of issues, unrelated to race, religion and culture,” Hammond says.She says the motive for the recent attack is yet to be established and a disciplinary hearing is to take place in the beginning of the next school term.