CONTINUED FROM PAGE 1Speaking at a media briefing at the municipality on Tuesday, RNM Mayor Nomusa Mqwebu said the municipality resorted to taking legal action against the veterans because their attempts for peaceful negotiations were unsuccessful. “The municipality engaged with the leadership of the illegal occupants explaining that these houses, even before they were built, have pre-approved legitimate owners,” he said. She said it was explained to the veterans that plans are in place to address the issue of houses for the military veterans. A meeting between the municipality and leadership of the veterans has been scheduled. Chairperson of the veterans association, Derick Ndlovu, said the group had been waiting for 23 years to obtain houses as promised to them. “We only occupied those spaces as an alternative while we wait for them [municipality] to hand over the houses they promised us,” said Ndlovu. He said while it is unfortunate that some of his fellow veterans were arrested, as an association they are satisfied that they managed to get a meeting with the municipality on the issue. “All we are saying is that we at least deserve to live in a dignified manner as was promised to us,” said Ndlovu. The veterans appeared in the Port Shepstone Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday. Their case was postponed to April 6.