TWO men have been in police custody since the weekend for the murder of four children who were hacked to death in Ncukeni near Port Edward in September last year.On September 2, 2017, the four children aged between four and 12 years were found dead at their home in Ncukeni with multiple stab wounds. Port Edward police arrested the children’s uncle Ben Mbhele (32) at their family home in Ncukeni for the murders. Another suspect, Sibongiseni Nyawose (48), from the area, was arrested last Sunday also in connection with the murders.The two had their first court appearance at the Ramsgate Magistrate’s Court on Monday. The case was postponed to Wednesday at the Pietermaritzburg High Court. The children were hacked to death at home while their mother was allegedly out with friends. Three of the children had their left ears cut off and it was suspected that the murders may have been muthi related, however, a motive was not confirmed and four counts of murder were opened at the Port Edward Police Station.Police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala said the first arrest was made after a “lengthy investigation”, and KwaZulu-Natal Acting Provincial Commissioner Major General Bheki Langa commended the investigating team for the arrests. “We will ensure that a well-prepared docket is sent to court so that the accused can be prosecuted for these horrendous acts. The cruelty that was displayed during the killings cannot be explained as it was too vicious, especially as it was committed by a relative who is expected to be the protector of these children,” said Langa.