Department officials conduct investigations FROm page 1

2015-06-10 06:01

Last week the Department of Education issued HRM circular number 20 of 2015 which read: “No leave would be granted to any employee for the purpose of participating in a strike action.”

Chairperson of the KwaDukuza Cosatu branch Buhle Khuzwayo said: “Our affiliate, Sadtu, has not been told about a ‘no work no pay’ matter.”

Addressing the demonstrating union members, Khuzwayo assured them - specifically Cosas members who were present to express their frustrations as schooling had come to a halt - that once Vilakazi had been removed, the union would organise extra classes in an effort to make up for lost time and ensure pupils pass at the end of the year.

Sadtu regional deputy chairperson Sesi Cindi also addressed union members outside the district offices.

She poured water on media reports that Sadtu, within the region, is offering positions in exchange for goods.

“Who is selling posts, who? How much do those posts costs?” adding that the actions being instituted by the regional Sadtu are not a personal war being waged by the region’s leadership against Vilakazi.

“We want to remove the cancer, we are not going to allow this cancer, and it is going to kill you,” she said, referring to the district director.

She added that should teachers return to their duties with Vilakazi still at the helm then their objective as a union would have failed.

Speaking to the Weekly earlier on Monday, Khuzwayo said that the local Cosatu branch had not been informed by Sadtu that it intends to replace Vilakazi with an individual favoured by the union.

Khuzwayo said that once their affiliate’s demands are met and Vilakazi is removed then “all workers who are eligible to apply for the district director position have the right to apply, it has never been our affiliate’s mandate to place individuals that it favours,” he said.

Meanwhile, an investigation was commissioned by Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga’s office and headed by Professor John Volmink prompted by the Sadtu strike action in the province.

The investigation has found that not only is education in KwaZulu-Natal being run by “rogue” union members, but Sadtu members have been found to have violated the system in the provincial education department. A senior department official said the provincial department had “collapsed; there is no leadership”.

In KwaZulu-Natal they found:

*Sadtu officials demanding that union members be appointed to 37 chief education specialist posts. Union officials insisted the department reduce the educational requirements for the posts from degrees to teaching diplomas;

*A Sadtu leader who is a junior teacher in the eThekwini North region became the principal of a large school with two deputy principals in the iLembe district after falsifying a letter of appointment;

*A senior Sadtu official in eThekwini North illegally swapped positions with a principal of a large school in iLembe. The “gentlemen’s deal” was struck because principals of large schools earn much more than those who run smaller schools.

When the Weekly contacted Vilakazi she said that she has been instructed that she is not to communicate with the media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
 

Man scores date with tennis superstar after Twitter bet

It’s a modern day Cinderella story, but one American man took ‘shoot your shot’ seriously in 2017.

 
 

You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.