21 Navy officers released after Durban 'freak accident'

2017-02-17 20:20
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban- Twenty-one SA Navy personnel have been released from hospital after they tried to save six people killed by a methane gas leak at the Durban Naval base, a spokesperson said on Friday.

Three Navy officers and three public works department employees died when they inhaled methane gas in what was described as a "freak accident", spokesperson Rachel Dulamo said.

The cause of the leak was being investigated.

The names of the three officers would be released once their families had been informed.

The labour department said the three public works personnel were repairing a pump storage unit in a 5m-deep pit when they struggled to breathe.

The officers were overcome when they tried to help them.

Paramedics declared all six dead on the scene.

In a statement, President Jacob Zuma expressed his sadness and extended his condolences to the families affected.

“We are devastated by the deaths of these hard-working soldiers and their colleagues. It is really tragic for all of them to lose their lives in this manner. This is a most painful and traumatic time for all the families and for all of us," Zuma said.

Read more on:    sandf  |  durban  |  accidents
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Most Read
News In Your Area
Top Lifestyle

Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.