Johannesburg – At least 58 000 Gauteng pupils are yet to be placed in a school, the provincial education department said on Monday.The department had received many late applications, despite the process being opened from April to June and from June to November last year, spokesperson Oupa Bodibe said.However, 90% of pupils requiring placement for the 2017 school year would start school on Wednesday. A total of 130 000 Grade one pupils and 103 000 Grade eight pupils had been placed.Parents had to make use of an online system to enrol their children. Internet facilities were made available to parents at libraries, schools, and the department's offices. “We had lots of parents in our offices and were helping them. We don’t think that there was anything that we didn’t do to help parents,” Bodibe said.Applications made at the department's offices on Monday would be processed, but those children would not start school this week.