80% of Jonkershoek fire contained

2015-03-12 08:55
A view of the Jonkershoek fire on Tuesday night. (<a href="https://twitter.com/Miss_Vicki_Mac" target="_blank">Vicki Mac Callum, Twitter</a>)

A view of the Jonkershoek fire on Tuesday night. (Vicki Mac Callum, Twitter)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - About 80% of the fire currently raging in the Jonkershoek area has been contained, a Cape Nature spokesperson said on Thursday.

- Are you there? Send us your eyewitness accounts and photos.

“The firefighters did very well to contain most of the blaze overnight,” Cape Nature’s Justin Lawrence told News24.

“The fire is not yet under control, but about 80% of the fire is currently contained, and efforts will be focussed on getting the other 20% under control.”

The focus for Thursday will be to battle the fire on two fronts.

450 firefighters have been deployed to two areas; the first around Banhoek Valley, to the east of Stellenbosch, and the second, further south, as the fire continues to head toward the Helderberg region.

No immediate danger

Neither Stellenbosch nor Helderberg is in any immediate danger as yet, and no evacuations have been ordered, Lawrence added.

Craig van Reenen, assistant chief at the Stellenbosch Fire Department, told News24 the fire is very far from dwellings, and no properties have been damaged.

The evacuation that took place on Wednesday at the Stellenbosch University Sport Performance Institute in Coetzenburg was ordered by the institute itself, and was not an official order, Van Reenen added.

Van Reenen pleaded with residents of Stellenbosch not to give into panic, as mass evacuations that haven’t been called for can affect firefighting efforts.

About 3 900 hectares of vegetation have been damaged in the Jonkershoek fire.

Read more on:    cape town  |  fires

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.


6 myths about male cancer

It is important to be aware of the most prevalent cancer diseases amongst men in our country.


You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.