News24

Arrested cops plan to sue - report

2012-08-24 10:12

Durban - Two police officers attached to the National Intervention Unit have briefed a lawyer to sue the state following their arrest along with officers of the Durban Organised Crime Unit, the Mercury reported on Friday.

The two men - Dumisani Nzama and Vusi Ngondwana - were arrested in June along with 18 members of the now disbanded Cato Manor branch of the unit.

Their names appeared on the indictment sheet at the first court appearance earlier this year, but Nzama and Ngondwana did not appear with the other members.

Shortly after that, the media was told that charges against them had been withdrawn.

The Mercury reported that attorney Malcolm Lutge had confirmed that he was representing the two men in a civil claim to be launched against Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa.

Arrests

The 18 men along with 12 others arrested earlier this week were due to appear in the Durban Regional Court on Friday.

Among the 30 men is head of the Hawks in KwaZulu-Natal, Johan Booysen.

Twelve of them were granted R5 000 bail each on Thursday. They were arrested on Wednesday and face charges including murder and racketeering.

The men face more than 100 charges, including 14 of murder, 14 of unlawful possession of ammunition, 14 of unlawful possession of firearms, and four of housebreaking.

Independent Police Investigative Directorate spokesperson Moses Dlamini said Wednesday's arrests completed the IPID's investigations into the Cato Manor unit.

Early on Friday morning family and friends of the officers were queuing outside the court building.

It is expected that a trial date will be set on Friday.