Baby's death caused by rat poison

2015-10-28 12:17


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - The death of a 10-month old baby in Khayelitsha in July after he ate rat poison, has once again highlighted the need for caution when using pesticides in the home, the City of Cape Town said in a statement.

The environmental health section investigated the baby's death, and concluded it was a result of the rat poison.

"It is understood that the child was playing inside his home when he came into contact with the poison pellets which had been set out on a side-plate, hidden behind a cupboard," the statement read.

Apparently the poison had been put out for rats, but the residents had forgotten about it. The baby’s caregiver took him to the local hospital after he started vomiting, but he was declared dead on arrival.


"This is a truly heartbreaking incident and my thoughts and prayers are with the family," said mayoral committee member for health, Siyabulela Mamkeli.

"It is important that this baby's death not be in vain and so I appeal to parents to learn from this tragedy and ensure that they do everything possible to mitigate the risk of their children being exposed to pesticides.

"These incidents are not commonplace, but one death is one too many," Mamkeli said.

During the 2014/15 financial year, city's health department investigated six pesticide poisoning cases across the city. Environmental health practitioners also conduct regular inspections of informal traders to root out the sale of toxic pesticides that are being sold illegally.

These poisons often carry no label and thus no information about the ingredients or manufacturer, placing users, children, pets and the environment at risk, the statement warned.

"I understand that not everyone is able to afford professional pest control services, but I would also caution against buying cheap and toxic products that are not correctly packaged or labelled.

"There have been instances of children drinking poisonous chemical substances that have been stored in plastic cooldrink bottles because they are stored within easy reach. I appeal to residents to buy only approved and legal pesticides and to use them with care, especially when they have children or pets in the home," Mamkeli said.

He said a free rodent control service to members of poor communities was available through their local environmental health office or by leaving a rodent complaint at their nearest municipal clinic.

Read more on:    cape town

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.