Pretoria - The legal team for apartheid-era chemical warfare expert Dr Wouter Basson walked out of sentencing proceedings at the Health Professions Council of SA, journalists tweeted on Monday.The legal team, led by Jaap Cilliers, said they will approach the high court to lodge an application to review an alleged conflict of interest by the HPCSA’s chairperson Jannie Hugo, tweeted Health-e News."We have received information that you [Prof Jannie Hugo] are a member of one of the organisations that agitated for the removal of Dr Basson as a medical practitioner, and signed a petition to that effect," Cilliers told the HPCSA hearing.Hugo said he had been a member of the medical association since he started practising medicine, according to Sapa."I will have to go through the list of those organisations," he said.#WouterBasson will aproach the High Court in PTA to put a stop to his sentencing proceedings. pic.twitter.com/cF1gWVABRd— Anton Meijer (@antonnies) January 19, 2015Wouter Basson en regspan storm uit tugpaneelsitting uit beswaar teen voorsitter om dringende hofaansoek . @Netwerk24 pic.twitter.com/xkm7XWvAfK— Herman Verwey (@hermanverwey) January 19, 2015Basson was accused of acting unethically by being involved in the large-scale production of Mandrax, cocaine and teargas, of weaponising teargas, and of supplying it to Angola's Unita leader Jonas Savimbi.After a six-year review Hugo ruled that Basson contravened international protocols and conventions, Sapa reported on Monday.These were the Geneva Declaration of 1948 and the UN convention on the prohibition of and stockpiling of dangerous weapons.No medical doctor could claim ignorance of their expected professional behaviour, Hugo said at the time.The inquiry was held to determine whether Basson acted unethically in the exercise of his duties as a chemical warfare expert.