Boy killed in Cape Town shack fire

2013-01-19 14:50

Cape Town - A boy was killed and 32 people left homeless in overnight fires across Cape Town, a city official said on Saturday.

Disaster risk centre spokesperson Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said Carlton-Lee Botha,  aged 3, was sleeping in a shack in Tafelsig, Mitchells Plain, when a fire started around 8am on Saturday.

Two people were displaced in the blaze.

In the early hours of Saturday morning, fires also spread through informal settlements in Belhar, Strand, Mfuleni and Gugulethu.

Solomons-Johannes said these fires left 10 people without homes.

On Friday evening, a fire destroyed five shacks at Potsdam road in Du Noon, Milnerton, displacing 20 people.

No injuries were reported.

Those affected had been assisted with food parcels, baby packs, clothing and building material.

The city asked residents to isolate electrical devices and extinguish gas burners, candles, lamps and paraffin stoves when not in use.

  • suerita.fortuin - 2013-01-19 18:07

    feeling their pain..i would die if this had to happen to our family.

  • xoli.mbambo - 2013-01-19 18:59

    Oh Zille what are u doing in CT

  • asafercandle - 2013-01-21 00:01

    Most Accidental Candle Fires can be Prevented I am a former UNMIL Fire Marshal that has a special place in my heart for my friends and Firefighters in Africa. Kevin's Kandles are available - How do we encourage suppliers like Monoprix or Bridgeway to offer these candles to all Africans? They are Much Safer than paraffin candles, less than half the price and environmentally friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out! In January 2012 another tragic accidental candle fire occurred in Monrovia, Liberia. 150 homes were destroyed and 2,500 people were left homeless. This tragedy could have been prevented with Kevin’s Kandles. It’s time for the UN and other Poverty Relief Groups to embrace these Much Safer candles. A shipping carton measures 15 x 15 x 20”, weighs 25 pounds and contains 500 packs of Kevin’s Kandles. Each pack has the potential to provide a family with 3+ months of safer candle illumination. A shipping container holds 324,000 packs of these candles. To watch the demonstration video and read the “Small Steps” folder visit Let’s reduce the number of accidental candle fires NOW!

  • pages:
  • 1