News24

Boy shocked to death by jumping castle motor

2012-10-22 09:27

Johannesburg - A 5-year-old boy from Pretoria was electrocuted by a jumping castle's power generator at the Stonehaven-on-Vaal resort near Vanderbijlpark, Beeld reported on Monday.

Ruan Schlebusch and his cousin Cheverne, 7, were chasing each other around the jumping castle when he fell into a rose bush at the weekend.

When he tried to pull himself up by grabbing the power lever on the jumping castle, he was electrocuted.

His cousin tried to help him, but she was also electrocuted, after which the generator fell over and landed on the children's legs.

Adults were alerted, and they managed to extricate Cheverne before the power supply was turned off at the wall.

A doctor who happened to be in the vicinity began emergency first aid procedures on Ruan, and paramedics later took over, but he was declared dead at the scene.

Cheverne, who had sustained electrical burns on her legs and tongue, also received emergency treatment.

Rex Anderson, owner of Stonehaven-on-Vaal, said everyone at the resort was deeply upset by the tragedy.

"It's the first time in 18 years that anything like this has happened. Our deepest sympathies to the family."

Police said a judicial inquiry into the cause of death would be held.

Comments
  • candy.hooke - 2012-10-22 09:31

    Tragic!

      janice.mcmaster.92 - 2012-10-22 09:53

      Tragic yes, avoidable????? What a terrible way to die!

      Rabbler.Rouser - 2012-10-22 10:08

      Very, very sad to lose a young child in this way. Condolences to his family.

      colin.dovey - 2012-10-22 11:29

      We were planning to go there with all the kids at Christmas - it could have happened to anyone, at any time. They need to check things like this though - places like Gold Reef City etc

      moriri.mosweu - 2012-10-22 13:09

      why didn't the main switch trap automatically? I thought this is the 21st centuries but clearly not for some and kids are bearing the price.

  • PrettyUsefulArt - 2012-10-22 09:37

    Oh dear... how very awful. Strongs to the family, siestog.

  • godesha - 2012-10-22 09:48

    How tragic. Condolences to the family. RIP little Ruan.

  • geraldene.smith.39 - 2012-10-22 09:52

    This is very sad. Our thought are with the family

  • stephan.fourie.501 - 2012-10-22 09:53

    Condolences to the family. Always a sad story when a life is lost.

  • ilze.moreira - 2012-10-22 10:05

    about 10 years ago i worked with a nurse in trauma - it was beginning of winter - a child that drowned was brought in - the nurse went bollistic on how the mom minded her child, the next day that nurse brought her child in with severe burn wounds after he opened the gas heater - i rest my case - some comments here is not needed Eg: teaching the kids right..we are humans, we are all mortal...Condolences to this family with their MASSIVE loss! may you find peace in God's love

  • brian.connell.18 - 2012-10-22 10:10

    Why didn't the earth-leakage unit trip? It's law to have one - now we all know why. Condolences to the family.

      aarchaic - 2012-10-22 11:01

      "A 5-year-old boy from Pretoria was electrocuted by a jumping castle's power generator" From what i read here its was not connected to a main power grid but a electric generator, Generator if not operated properly can be a very dangerous object especialy if no earth is pressent on some generators.

      mike.bundy.73 - 2012-10-22 13:54

      Then surely these things should be protected, especially when used around youngsters?

      littlelearner - 2012-10-22 15:32

      I agree Brian.... was horrified to find out this weekend that appliances with 2 pronged plugs do not have earth!

  • BoyvandieSuburbs - 2012-10-22 10:10

    There is no greater loss than that of one's child.

  • bob.moodley.9 - 2012-10-22 10:13

    2 sanchez.sancho.7 ....please don't have kids of your own...ur ar one sick dude...so sad...he was only 5 years and its natural for a child to grab at something for support if he fell.... when last was the equipment checked and maintained by a professional....this sounds negligence by the owner / operator of the jumping castle as there should not be any exposed live cables where kids play. rest in peace baby

  • briana.scott - 2012-10-22 10:16

    So incredible Heartbreaking. Condolences to the Family. There is nothing in this world that will ever right such a tragedy.

  • annelise.vanderschyff - 2012-10-22 10:21

    Shame very sad rip little boy sympathy to fam and friends

  • justbee.designed - 2012-10-22 10:33

    This is just too sad......deepest sympathy to the families xx

  • smahlaba - 2012-10-22 10:34

    Terrible tragedy. May he rest in peace.

  • bond.ndalo - 2012-10-22 10:40

    Thi is the last thing I wanna hear as a parent. My deepest condolence to Ruan's Family.

  • chase.bezuidenhout - 2012-10-22 10:42

    Avoidable!!! This is what happens when people don't add earths to their generators!!! It's there for a reason people use it!!!

  • David Mabaso - 2012-10-22 10:43

    some people are just insensitive. May his young soul rest. my sincere condolances to the family. may the Lord strengthen you during this time of bereavement.

  • sagin.verity - 2012-10-22 10:45

    My sincerest condolences to the family. No one can understand how tragic it is for a parent to bury their babies.

  • neil.botes.77 - 2012-10-22 11:32

    what to say? to my family all I can do now is pray for you. i love all of you. I am really sorry I dont know what to say i cant imagine

  • Jpeters81 - 2012-10-22 11:37

    RIP sweet child .... Condolences to the Family

  • troy.leman.3 - 2012-10-22 11:49

    "When he tried to pull himself up by grabbing the power lever on the jumping castle, he was electrocuted" huh????

      Andrea - 2012-10-22 12:03

      Ja, I'm also wondering if some wiring etc. may have been exposed. We generally don't electrocute ourselves when touching electrical goods.

  • alaina.erasmus - 2012-10-22 12:30

    Some of these comments are disgusting. A little boy has DIED- what on EARTH is wrong with you people to make negative comments? You know life is not fool proof- no matter how safe you are ANYTHING can happen! Can all you "perfect" people just take a break for one minute and say something nice to the poor family who is obviously devastated?! Insensitive fools. Shame on you.

      mike.down.5492 - 2012-10-22 14:16

      Well said, a freak accident with tragic consequences

  • vivvian.atud - 2012-10-22 12:41

    This is so sad. May his young soul rest in peace.

  • marais.adriaan - 2012-10-22 12:41

    This almost had me in tears! My sincerest condolences to the family. I don't think a family ever recovers from such a thing.

  • tash.nvd - 2012-10-22 15:39

    Thank you for all your condolences an prayers! Ruan is my sister's little boy and all of us feel a great loss after what happened to him! He will be greatly missed and he will always be in our hearts!

      catherine.a.graham1 - 2012-10-22 16:46

      This is heartbreaking. Condolences to the family. I used to teach Anton in Grade 1 in Mozambique.

      tash.nvd - 2012-10-22 16:50

      Thank you!

  • buyisiwe.mhlana - 2012-10-22 17:32

    the generator was macgyvered. spare maintenance to bring in extra cash. sad

  • jaunmarie.hopkins - 2012-10-22 18:24

    Was there when this happened. My heart bleeds for his mother, father and stepmother (who tried her utmost best to revive Ruan) It was horrific!!! He was a beautiful little boy, tragedy does not describe this. Hoping Stonehaven will now wake up and get their safety straight!!!!\r\nAs a mother of two I will not take my kids there, ever. I am terrified at the thought

  • jaunmarie.hopkins - 2012-10-22 18:27

    Was there when this happened. My heart bleeds for his mother, father and stepmother (who tried her utmost best to revive Ruan) It was horrific!!! He was a beautiful little boy, tragedy does not describe this. Hoping Stonehaven will now wake up and get their safety straight!!!!\r\nAs a mother of two I will not take my kids there, ever. I am terrified at the thought

  • beverly.pearce.33 - 2012-10-22 19:51

    Rip sweet baby I know how it feels to bury a baby because I buryed my baby girl 10 years ago. The pain never goes away May God comfort you nd hold you through this stage of life.

  • sally.lewitt - 2012-10-22 23:29

    RIP Ruan.. MAJOR STRENGtH to the Family and Friends at this very, very Sad time.. You are in our thoughts.. {Cyber Hugs}

  • yolandi.dutoit.3 - 2012-10-24 22:34

    This is such a sad sad tragic accident. My heart goes out to the family because I am a mommy and also the owner of a fun workshop for kids where we work with this kind of equipment everyday. I hope this makes all providers look twice at their safety, because no kiddie should pay the price. Rest in Peace little one!

  • Brenda Brown - 2014-06-10 12:17

    The investigation held the resort responsible and were given quite a hefty fine as the socket in which the motor was plugged into was not earthed which is why the trip switch didn't come into play.

  • pages:
  • 1