Boys hospitalised after firecracker stunt

2012-12-09 18:34

Johannesburg - Two boys, both aged 12, had to be hospitalised after experimenting with a firecracker at Margate beach on Sunday afternoon, paramedics said.

"Reports indicate that the children placed the cracker into [a glass] bottle in an experiment to see what would happen," said Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha.

"They stood close by waiting for it to explode and were struck in the chest and shoulder by the glass shrapnel."

Paramedics stabilised them on the scene before taking them to hospital.

  • brendon.nel.7 - 2012-12-09 18:46

    Auuuh duuuuh!!! Kids will be kids but damn they make em stupid these days.

      warren.slater.353 - 2012-12-09 19:17

      No...adults are the idiots. Every year we allow pets and kids to be hurt, maimed and killed needlessly while celebrating outdated rituals or non applicable dates in history . Why? Stupidity.

      warren.slater.353 - 2012-12-10 06:54

      The light shows are the least problematic, it's the bangers that are silly. I'm certain the pleasure comes from knowing one is annoying can just a loud bang actually be pleasurable? You can't expect a 12 year old to understand consequences we as adults take for granted. That's why kids shouldn't be handling fireworks in the first place. When I was young my buddy did exactly the same thing...we didn't expect the glass to break but it did. He had to go to the doc and the swimming pool needed to me emptied and examined for glass. All kids, especially boys do silly things, that's why parents are supposed to look after them. Years later while in the army another guy did a similar thing. Holding a 12.7 bullet he detonated it. Must admit I never expected the shell to peel open tearing into his hand. Bottom line guys do crazy stuff but you live and learn, the trick is to learn by other people's mistakes.

      mattcredible - 2012-12-10 09:06

      So Gollum... Your parents were clearly terrible people, 'cos in your own words, "We didn't expect the glass to break..." Ok thanks. And the guy when you were in the army - were you there watching as this happended? Again, you "Didn't expect the shell to peel open..." Why didn't you stop him?

      warren.slater.353 - 2012-12-10 12:32

      @ Mattcredible Exactly what your point is I'm not quite sure. Firstly I didn't say how old I was when either incident happened. Secondly, you can't judge my parents by my decisions, I take full responsibility for my poor choices. If you've never done anything stupid you've lead a very sheltered life which probably explains your naive silly demeanor. Thirdly why would I try stop someone if I didn't expect the shell to open? You're not the most logical person are you? Fourthly, I didn't actually witness it anyway...just heard the bang and loud swearing.

  • michael.i.wright - 2012-12-09 18:57

    Geez, we were stupid but that takes the cake. Hope the little guys come out okay and smarter.

      brendon.nel.7 - 2012-12-09 19:11

      I remember many times as a kid throwing widowmakers into everything from all gold bottles to bee hives but I made damn sure my ass was way gone when that sucker went kaboom. Even had a friend who let one off between his teeth. Needless to say it was widowmaker one buddys face zero. But I guess stupid is stupid and these things happen from time to time.

  • obadia.segwape - 2012-12-09 19:04

    eish there we go again

  • Mandiana - 2012-12-09 19:19

    I like curious kids. But they should have tried a plastic container maybe.

  • lunga.biyela.5 - 2012-12-09 19:22

    Boys will be boys. Doing stupid things is part of growing up. It's how we learn. I also had my fair share of dumb moments as a kid. Live a little, put firecrackers in bottles and see what happens. I did. Luckily I made sure I was a couple of metres away from ground zero.

  • ibogainesa - 2012-12-09 19:43

    Again fireworks either given or sold where, children under the legal age are allowed to use such an explosive! When are we going to remember that fireworks shouldn’t be utilised by the general public, it should be used in a controlled environment like an arena by trained personnel. Year after year we hear that fireworks has been banned, but we hear of cases like this, as well as all the animals that are either abused or end up on the streets and if they lucky in a shelter, for Guy fox, New Year and all the Hindu celebrations. Police to confiscate and control the ban, and imports should be destroyed at the ports of entry........but no its easier to be another corrupt citizen / government official etc ..... Its sad to say but maybe this should happen a little more often and just maybe someone will listen and ban the stuff once and for all.

  • lynda.pitcher.1 - 2012-12-09 19:51

    they can't possibly have been that stupid, not at the age of 12

  • cynthia.a.oosthuizen - 2012-12-09 19:57

    one of those boys is my friend,and he is the type of person that would do something as crazy as puting a firecracker in a bottle*:)hope you feel better but hay,stupidnes has consequences!!*

  • John - 2012-12-09 20:00

    Thank god I did these experiments with my boys!

  • yolande.birch - 2012-12-09 20:11

    The 2 boys, Jonathan and Donovan (13) is stabilized and very thankful for the assistance received from the lifesavers, ambulance staff and Netcare medics. Their other friend, Hardus was unharmed. Boys will be boys, but they have learned their lesson. Greatful toward God!

      michael.i.wright - 2012-12-09 21:41

      Great news. Tell them to make space for living stuff next time they blow something up.

      tommie.vanreenen.1 - 2012-12-09 21:51

      The boy that was badly hurt is close to my hart. Highly intelegent,excellent sportman and well mannered. Trust you will get well soon

  • Dawn Campbell Gibson - 2012-12-09 20:22

    Crackers should be banned. What ever happened to that law? Sad that had to happen to two young boys, but, where were the parents?

      brendon.nel.7 - 2012-12-09 20:32

      Have any kids? If so any boys? If so you will learn.

      Dawn Campbell Gibson - 2012-12-09 21:03

      actually 2 boys in their 20s. Been there, done that.

      brendon.nel.7 - 2012-12-09 21:20

      Ha ha ha then u know exactly what we can be like. All curiosity no brains.

  • Azwihangwisi - 2012-12-09 20:23

    maybe u were worse dan dem

      brendon.nel.7 - 2012-12-09 20:30

      I sure was. A hell if a lot worse. But not half as stupid.

  • donald.perumal - 2012-12-09 20:32

    Hi All Funny two white boys get hurt abusing fireworks and we get sensible comments.Yet a month ago it was war!Luckily no animals were hurt in this experiment!

  • Sylvester.Mohloli - 2012-12-09 20:38

    Hehehehe le tla!!! Hardy boys, speedy recovery, bt damn, firecrackers, bottle? Lmao

  • Thilivhali Fitzgerald - 2012-12-09 20:48

    boys will always be boys but they learnt a good lesson unfortunately the hard way

  • marthin.dejongh1 - 2012-12-09 22:20

    They did not think that one through. Next time remember firecrackers can explode under water too. Fill a 20L bucket with water,tie the cracker to a stone,light it and dunk it in the water and watch how high the bucket can bounce of the ground. Only danger is you will get wet. Its less of a noise also..

  • yolande.birch - 2012-12-11 20:04

    Mattcredible...I get you... you ARE logical!

  • nixvn - 2013-01-16 08:09

    Dogs injured, and children injured and yet people are still allowed to purchase fireworks... Come on people, seriously...

  • KCracken Kcrack - 2013-11-05 10:04

    he should of died

  • pages:
  • 1