CGE lauds sexual offences courts

2013-08-07 08:39
Jeff Radebe (File, Sapa)

Jeff Radebe (File, Sapa)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Sexual offences courts will go a long way in providing much needed protection to a large number of victims and survivors of sexual crimes, the Commission for Gender Equality said on Tuesday.

It applauded Justice Minister Jeff Radebe's announcement that at least 22 sexual offences courts would open this year, in a revival of the system of dedicated courts to fight rape.

"This will inevitably ensure that issues of rape, sexual harassment, and other related sexual crimes are addressed by specialised courts, henceforth people with specialised skills, in helping society eradicating the scourge of sexual crimes," the CGE said in a statement.

Making his announcement in Pretoria on Tuesday, Radebe said another 35 sexual offences courts would be set up within the next three years.

"We have seen a rise [in] sexual violence against women and children and we cannot remain unmoved as government, but we can take steps to ensure that all those perpetrators of these heinous crimes must be brought to book and this is one of the ways of dealing with it."

World Cup courts proved successful


He said the government had not abandoned the policy of running sexual offences courts, but had buckled under logistical problems, including the refusal of magistrates to permanently serve in the courts and the lack of a dedicated budget.

The CGE said the introduction of special courts during the 2010 FIFA World Cup had proved successful, and that it sought the same commitment and response by the justice system when it came to sexual offenders.

"As the CGE, we will monitor the effectiveness of the courts and also ensure the roll-out of all the courts throughout the country is done, as promised."

The first sexual offences court was established in Wynberg, in Cape Town in 1993. By late 2005, there were 74 such courts countrywide. Currently only nine remain operational, according to figures provided by Radebe.

"Even though these courts recorded considerable success, there were a number of challenges that led to their demise.

"The government never took the decision to close down the courts," he said, adding that there was the irony of the courts shutting down while internationally they had acquired best practice status.

‘Work too traumatic in the long term’

The state was considering rotating magistrates and prosecutors who worked in sexual offences, in response to complaints that the work was too traumatic in the long term, Radebe said.

"We believe that the interactions that we have had, myself included, in meetings with the heads of courts... I believe that there is a broad understanding that all of us, including presiding officers, we have to be dedicated to this kind of work."

The justice department said some R20m had been set aside to refurbish the courts, but that more would be needed.

Last year, Radebe appointed a task team to investigate reviving and strengthening the courts, amid accusations by rights activists that the government lacked the political will to fight sexual violence.

The task team's report "clearly determines that our current court system requires special courts to ensure an adequate response to the special needs of the sexual offence victims", he said.

The team cited the lack of enabling legislation as another reason why the courts failed to function.

Deputy Justice Minister John Jeffery said this would be addressed by the sexual offences act amendment bill, which allows the minister to designate sexual offences courts, and should be passed speedily.
Read more on:    commission for gender equality  |  jeff radebe  |  judiciary

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
8 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
 

Man scores date with tennis superstar after Twitter bet

It’s a modern day Cinderella story, but one American man took ‘shoot your shot’ seriously in 2017.

 
 

You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.