News24

COO not reinstated, SABC insists

2013-03-04 18:54

Johannesburg - Reports that former SABC chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng had been reinstated were false, the public broadcaster said on Monday.

"The report... is regrettable as neither the chairman nor the deputy chairman nor both have the power or authority to unilaterally change a board resolution," the SABC board said in a statement.

"No such provision exists in the Broadcasting Act of 1999, Companies Act of 2008, Articles of Association or draft Memorandum of Incorporation."

The New Age on Monday reported that SABC chairperson Ben Ngubane confirmed to the newspaper that Motsoeneng was back in the position of acting COO.

"The decision to re-instate Hlaudi was made by my deputy Thami Ka Plaatjie after he decided to withdraw his letter to the minister," Ngubane was quoted as saying.

"The status quo remains."

Motsoeneng had reportedly also confirmed to The New Age that he had been reinstated.

The SABC board on Monday said it would seek clarity from Ngubane and Plaatjie regarding the newspaper report.

At a meeting in Cape Town on 25 February the board resolved to release Motsoeneng of his responsibility as acting COO with immediate effect.

It also decided that he would revert back to his previous position as group executive of stakeholder relations and provinces.

The board appointed Mike Siluma, a veteran journalist and head of radio news and current affairs, to the position.

The morning after the meeting, the board briefed the chairperson. He accepted the decision, but asked that implementation be postponed to Monday.

The group chief executive officer subsequently implemented the decision and a courtesy letter was drafted to inform shareholders, the board said.

A letter was also drafted for Motsoeneng.

"It is critical to note that, since then, the board has not met to rescind this resolution," it said.

"The so called 'withdrawal' of letters signed by the deputy chairperson Thami Ka Plaatjie [on behalf of the board] does not have any effect on the board resolution taken at a properly convened board meeting."

Comments
  • Uzziphathele KaSkhokho Tshabalala - 2013-03-04 19:21

    SABCANC what is going on here???

      Tony Bakkie - 2013-03-04 19:27

      They don't know......lol

  • gary.gordon.961993 - 2013-03-04 19:24

    What a bloody joke our national broadcaster is. Nobody knows who the hell works there, who's in charge and who is just passing through on his way to the "gents". It functions just like the ANC itself.

      Joe Smit - 2013-03-04 19:43

      And "The New Age", who owns the SABC, does the reporting.....

  • Tony Bakkie - 2013-03-04 19:30

    SABC 1 spokesman:- He was fired SABC 2 spokesman:- He is on leave SABC 3 spokesman:- He is coming back SABC tea Lady:- Eish I think he is off sick sANbC spokesman:- I can't know. I just collect a paycheck as the minister

  • Thabo Dijoe - 2013-03-04 19:42

    Nationalise sabc,

  • Erna Westdyk - 2013-03-04 19:49

    I said it this morning and I'll say it again - the people supposedly 'in charge' are a joke!

      Erna Westdyk - 2013-03-04 19:52

      And it's suspicious that TNA is reporting on this.

      mantsho.tlali - 2013-03-04 20:11

      Its the people with standard B.

  • Alan Smith - 2013-03-04 19:49

    Bawahaha - what a cluster f**k just like the cANCer.

  • mantsho.tlali - 2013-03-04 20:09

    Just privatize the SABC, CHAOS after CHAOS, They cannot run the country how can they run it.

  • blessing.khumalo.90 - 2013-03-04 22:25

    the next thing somebody will be silenced with a fat cheque.bloody idiots all you know is to feed us crap and forcing us to watch soapies instead of building the nation and help the young ones understand what it means to be a south african.niyoyithola ethoylethe imali ye tv licence

  • Puckson Sibusiso Gumede - 2013-03-16 11:52

    Hlaudi must do the honourable thing and resign surely there is life after all this. Maybe he can can concentrate on get a matric certificate which he does not have!!!

  • pages:
  • 1