Calls for probe into De Kock's whereabouts

2015-03-21 14:23
(File: Beeld)

(File: Beeld)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Police Minister Nathi Nhleko should probe allegations that parolee Eugene De Kock is being kept in a house against his will since his release from prison, Cope said on Saturday.

"If it is indeed true that he is being unlawfully detained by the security force, then the police must intervene and arrest the people who are detaining him," said Cope spokesperson Dennis Bloem.

The Star reported this week that De Kock, who was granted parole in January, was secretly handed over to security forces.

He was being held in a house because of an undefined threat against him.

De Kock's lawyer Julian Knight, however, told the paper he was unaware of his client's whereabouts but had received instructions from him asking for help, saying he is being kept against his will.

Cope sought clarity on the matter.

"We had been under the impression all this while that he himself had requested the department of correctional services to put him in a safe house for his own safety," Bloem said.

"Correctional services, therefore, should have been in charge and must know of his whereabouts. That he is a very high profile parolee makes the department's obligations even greater."

Knight said he was planning to use a writ of habeus corpus, which is a demand to the authorities to produce a missing person in court, to decide whether his continued detention is legal. The justice ministry had since received Knight's letter.

"In view of the letter received from his lawyer, we will engage both De Kock and his lawyer on the matter," ministry spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga told Sapa.

He declined to comment on De Kock's whereabouts. "We have acceded to Mr De Kock's plea not to give details of his release, so no media enquiries will be entertained on his release...," Mhaga said.

De Kock commanded an apartheid police hit squad based at Vlakplaas.

He was sentenced in 1996 to two life sentences plus 212 years for offences including murder.

On 30 January Justice and Correctional Services Minister Mike Masutha announced he had approved De Kock's parole.

 

Read more on:    cope  |  police  |  eugene de kock  |  pretoria
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
18 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.