Cape Town 'ecstatic' stranded ship removed

2012-05-18 17:42

Cape Town - The City of Cape Town is exceptionally pleased that the 50m Japanese fishing vessel that ran aground off First Beach in Clifton has been removed, spokesperson Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said on Friday.

"The ship has been moved off the sand banks and is being towed into deeper waters," said Solomons-Johannes.

The vessel has been taken to Quay 500 at the port of Cape Town where an inspection will be conducted. The remaining crew members will also be interviewed.
Sars and the department of agriculture, forestry and fisheries will conduct inspections of the vessel and its cargo.

"The city is also pleased that the entire operation did not cause any environmental degradation, nor pollution to the shoreline; as well as being delighted at the successful cooperation amongst all government agencies involved in this major procedure."

The Japanese vessel, the Eihatsu Maru, ran aground at 05:15 on Saturday in thick fog.


On Wednesday, the salvage team welded a bracket which could withstand the required pull force onto the trawler.

The team also drained 90 to 110 tons of diesel fuel from the ship into a rubber bladder on the beach which would then be transferred to a fuel tanker.

"The salving crews and disaster response experienced challenges to remove the vessel," he said, explaining that the tug boats battled to remove the vessel from the sand.

On Thursday, the Japanese embassy said it was concerned about the vessel.

The government of Japan had urged the owner of the ship to fully co-operate with the South African authorities and to take urgent action to help salvage it.

It expressed "sincere appreciation" to the SA Maritime Safety Authority, the National Sea Rescue Institute, and the South African government for attempting to salvage the ship.

Of the 28 Taiwanese crew members on board, 19 were evacuated. The remaining crew and the captain were required to stay on the ship under international maritime law.

  • Pacific - 2012-05-18 17:52

    If they took off the fuel and the fish right at the beginning, welded on the Smit Bracket, waited for high tide, it could have been off days ago. Salvage experts know this! Why did they hesitate so long???

      Burtfred - 2012-05-18 18:19

      Have you heard of neap tide, poephol?

      Pieter Mulder - 2012-05-18 18:57

      Waiting for money to be cleared

      Iceberg - 2012-05-18 19:30

      Why the agression Burtfred? Spread the sunshine man!

  • Jack - 2012-05-18 17:53

    Interesting that a Japanese ship would be so heavily manned by a Taiwanese crew. I know the countries are neighbours, but Taiwan is hardly the kind of country to supply cheap labour these days.

      TSOTSI Smilification - 2012-05-18 18:24

      Neighbors? They are both Asian... nothing near neighbors..

      Lacrimose - 2012-05-18 19:13

      It's very common in the shipping industry to have a ship registered or "flagged" in one country and be operated and manned by people and organisations from another. Maritime laws and maritime insurance is a very complex and convoluted field.

      Harold - 2012-05-19 09:35

      Its all about labour laws You can keep Tai sailors away from home longer than Japanese sailors. Less travel costs.

  • pages:
  • 1