News24

Cosatu 'shocked' by SABC audit report

2013-09-11 22:23

Johannesburg - Cosatu expressed shock on Wednesday at the auditor general's disclaimer audit report on the SABC.

"Cosatu is disturbed and shocked by AG Terence Nombembe's report on the SABC," Cosatu spokesperson Patrick Craven said in a statement.

"He [Nombembe] has given the worst possible audit opinion - a disclaimer - because he could not obtain sufficient [and] appropriate audit evidence."

In the 2013 annual report tabled in Parliament on Tuesday, Nombembe cited financial mismanagement and inadequate controls as reasons for the disclaimer.

A disclaimer is issued if the AG cannot form an opinion and thus declines to present an opinion about an entity's financial statements.

Nombembe's found the SABC was unable to provide documentation to account for more than R1.5bn in expenditure.

"I was unable to obtain sufficient, appropriate audit evidence for journals processed to broadcasting cost, signal distribution, and linking cost, marketing cost, professional and consultancy fees and other expenditure... which, in total amount to R1 588 929 000, as supporting documentation could not be provided," Nombembe said.

In addition, the SABC also failed to adhere to the laws governing taxpayers' money.

Cosatu welcomed an announcement by Communications Minister Yunus Carrim in Parliament on Tuesday that he had established a task team to strengthen financial controls at the public broadcaster.

"Cosatu believes that the SABC's crisis is structural... It has been plagued by seemingly intractable governance crisis at both management and board levels since 2007."

The SABC's dependence on advertising revenue and sponsorships had led to its failure to adequately play the role of a public broadcaster.

Cosatu supported an ANC resolution at its Mangaung elective conference last year to increase government funding to turn the SABC "into the authentic voice of the South Africans".

Comments
  • jungleboy - 2013-09-11 22:39

    Incompetence. Theft. Greed.

  • Werner Nel - 2013-09-11 22:42

    Sjoe that is a big number!

      Godfrey Welman - 2013-09-11 23:09

      @Werner LOL to the majority its only 1 (one) they cant comprehend anything more then their pension money.

  • Poloyatonki Kgosi - 2013-09-11 22:45

    Is there anything that is not shocking with SABC?

      Abdul-Ba'ith Sayegh - 2013-09-11 23:23

      I'm getting use to the mismanagement, theft and corruption at ANC run institution. Nothing shocks me anymore.

  • proudlysa - 2013-09-11 22:48

    Why are you so surprised?? Everything the ANC and their tripartite alliance partners (Cosatu included) is a mess. Eskom, SABC, police, the economy, education, foreign investment, healthcare etc etc etc....fraud and corruption - heard about that before???

  • Simon Henderson - 2013-09-11 22:50

    In other news, water proven to be wet and the pope outed as a catholic. More news you knew about already at 11!

      Graeme de Villiers - 2013-09-11 22:56

      Ahem....pay your TV license. It's the right thing to do. Really. The money will definitely go where it's intended. We promise.

  • John Tex - 2013-09-11 22:54

    Viva ANC viva

  • Kyle Chetty - 2013-09-11 23:11

    I'm shocked they want to add more money to the anc's pot :\ people please vote DA

  • Kamogelo Majoe - 2013-09-12 00:03

    an investigation should be carried out so that somebody could account as to how the public broadcaster spent the R1,5b.

  • robespear - 2013-09-12 00:24

    SABC not working... instead of cutting costs and becoming more efficient they pump more money in. Would have been better to privatise - then it would work on half the budget.

      Nathan Lombard - 2013-09-12 00:38

      And possibly even be worth watching

  • Johannes Masemula - 2013-09-12 00:48

    How about the federation? you are xception

  • Maru Sebata - 2013-09-12 02:38

    Hello! Heeloohh! Mr Chief Of Operations @ SABC, U good @ sensoring news but u cnt manage operations & interpret complex contracts with huge financial implications! R1.5 billion cost of sleaze! An outright pillage!

  • Charmaine Wilde - 2013-09-12 02:39

    look in there pockets lol

  • Char Ou - 2013-09-12 06:33

    SABC is run like a spaza shop. Appointing Hlaudi Motsoneng who has no matric as CEO, with close political ties to the ANC - Cadre .... Useless

  • Downs Shareholder - 2013-09-12 06:38

    Cosatu supported an ANC resolution at its Mangaung elective conference last year to increase government funding to turn the SABC "into the authentic voice of the South Africans". Crap. The Sabc does not represent people of this country. It is the mouthpiece of the current government. Ridiculous.

  • Andrew M - 2013-09-12 06:39

    The SABC is not the authentic voice of South Africans but the mouthpiece of the ANC. Top appointments are made by government therefore so as to hold done their gravy train positions they are beholden to the ANC.

  • Eddie Papendorf - 2013-09-12 07:05

    Soon all south africans will meet at church square (replica of what is happening in the arab states). That day is closer than we think it is. Now we toy toy to dodge bullets, soon we will toy toy to dodge cannon shells. Keep on steeling. It outlines the doings of cANCer.

  • Truth.speak - 2013-09-12 07:08

    These idiots cannot even run a shebeen, but they want to start a new news channel to help the ANC at the elections. No wonder our hard earned taxes are being wasted away

  • BraSteve Myaluze - 2013-09-12 07:10

    And next year they are going to vote for...?

  • Charl du Preez - 2013-09-12 07:30

    I think it's time that those people that actually pay for their TV licenses stop paying like the rest of us. If they can break laws regarding the spending of taxpayers money and get away with it then surely we can do the same? Don't pay, nothing will happen to you.

  • Thembalethu Mdumane KaNtoyanto - 2013-09-12 07:37

    They xpect us 2 pay TV license when they cnt account for expenses they made. To hell with ANC n their mouth peace SABC, its all these cadre deployment and cosatu shouldn't act like they dnt knw whts happening there

  • Michael Tetley - 2013-09-12 08:13

    Appoint a task team is ANC speak for, we haven't got a clue how to go about fixing the mess without getting rid of loyal cadres and replacing them with competent and accountable professionals!

  • Rudi de Beer - 2013-09-12 08:42

    Just more incompetence, greed, theft and blatant mismanagement. Criminaly charge the whole board.

  • Winifred Watson - 2013-09-12 09:10

    Corruption over the past five years has more than doubled. The reason being that the money is just written off as bad debt and nobody is held accountable. Nobody goes to jail and it is all a huge cover up. The first thing they do is appoint a corrupt task team to oversee the corruptors and thats about the last we ever hear. If Government is serious about cleaning up corruption, now is the time for Zuma to show us how squeaky clean he is and then he can grow some b&lls and jail these thieves that work for government. But, like a virus that spread, corruption is festering from the top down.

  • Steve du Toit - 2013-09-12 10:05

    Who still pays tv licences?How is it that no one is being charged for stealing?Who has all this money?But in retrospect can someone nominate me to the Board as soon as possible as I need a few breaks.

  • Sontshatsha Kwezi - 2013-09-12 10:35

    I think the SABC must be directly controlled by Luthuli House, so that we can stop paying TV lic that are increasingly every year to finance the ANC propaganda.

  • Michael B da Silva - 2013-09-16 14:23

    ugh. more corruption and canoodling. There is such crap on the rot box anyway.

  • Nevin Narraidu - 2013-09-16 15:34

    Okay SABC is state ... COSATU part of the ANC... Yet COSATU is shocked...so in other words you are shocked at the failures of your own?

  • Danny Mothilall Danny - 2013-10-09 19:39

    What a cover-up by parliament-just shows how our country is being run down.

  • pages:
  • 1