Debt-ridden ANC sells off Shell House

2015-10-16 11:56
Shell House (Leon Sadiki, City Press)

Shell House (Leon Sadiki, City Press)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - It was the scene of an infamous massacre as well as the headquarters of the ANC throughout the negotiations that led to the 1994 elections.

But as soon as next year, members of the public may be able rent a living space there.

Twenty-four years after buying it, the ANC has decided to sell its iconic Shell House building in downtown Johannesburg, the Mail & Guardian reported on Friday.

The sale comes as the party finds itself saddled with millions of rands in debt from last year's general elections, the newspaper stated.

In 2014 it reportedly owed R31 million in debt, a figure it has managed to cut down to R19 million.

The building has been sold to Hosken Consolidated Investments, a publicly-listed company that was established by the SA Clothing and Textile Workers' Union, an affiliate of Cosatu. HCI will hold 75% of the building and the ANC's property holding company Dakawa Properties will retain the other 25%.

Dakawa was established less than a year after the ANC was unbanned in 1990 and has since been used for a number of property transactions, City Press reported.

The building could house up to 500 families but will need some serious renovation as it is currently, as the ANC puts it, an "eyesore".

It was one of several buildings that was raided by the Hawks in downtown Johannesburg as part of a Hawks operation focusing on counterfeit clothing, according to City Press. The party said it was unaware of the raid.

In 1994, ANC security guards killed 19 Inkatha Freedom Party marchers following a tip-off that they were planning to attack the building.

Read more on:    anc  |  johannesburg  |  politics

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.