News24

False kidnap case postponed

2013-12-20 21:44

Johannesburg - A woman accused of falsely claiming her baby was kidnapped appeared in the Kempton Park Magistrate's Court on Friday.

Busi Nkosi was charged with perjury and defeating the ends of justice, and would appear again in court on 24 January, the court clerk said.

Nkosi is out on bail of R3 000.

On 7 October, 42-year-old Nkosi reported her baby boy had been kidnapped in a robbery in Kempton Park, police said at the time.

It was initially reported that three men and two women broke into the woman's house in Kempton Park West on the night of 7 October, tied up Nkosi and her 16-year-old daughter, and drugged them.

Police said the robbers took the baby, its clothes and Nkosi's cellphone.

The father arrived home after 22:00 and untied his wife and daughter.

Police found no signs of forced entry.

Police then discovered that the boy Nkosi had reported missing was in fact a relative's toddler who had never stayed with her at all.

It is believed the robbery was also staged.

Police found the child with the relative in Witbank, Mpumalanga - where he had been living all along.