Firefighters monitoring SABC studio blaze

2012-06-14 07:28

Johannesburg - Firefighters are monitoring the SABC's Henley Studios in Auckland Park on Thursday morning after a fire broke out, Johannesburg emergency services said.

"The fire started at [the] studio six last night at around 20:00 and firefighters were not able to contain the fire," spokesperson Niel Rooi said.

"There is a lot of smoke and they are busy damping down the building. We will not leave until we are certain that the fire is out."

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the fire broke out at Isidingo production studios. Isidingo is a soap opera that airs on SABC3 at 19:30, weekdays.

"No one was injured as everyone had already left. We will be assessing the situation this morning," he said.

"The cause of the fire as well as damage assessment will be done this [Thursday] morning. We are not alarmed as programmes will continue to run as normal."

SABC acting COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng told Morning Live that the fire would cost the public broadcaster tens of millions of rands.

"As the SABC we are very shocked. As you know financially we are not sound," he said.

"This is something that we don't know how to handle but we will get there."

Kganyago said they were not sure if the fire had spread to other studios.

  • Busani - 2012-06-14 07:39

    SABC (ANC mouthpiece) went up in smoke YEARS ago. Ashes dont catch fire!!

      rob.patrick.94 - 2012-06-14 07:48

      I wonder if they arrived with a full tank of water?

      Curry - 2012-06-14 07:59

      I wonder if they just started repeating all the soaps on SABC TV if anyone would even notice...

      Preshen - 2012-06-14 08:04

      Rodney Grobler did it

      Squeegee - 2012-06-14 08:20

      Man, why did the fire department do anything? We could have finally been free of this cash drain.

      Rabble-Rouser - 2012-06-14 08:20

      They can just dust off some ancient material from the archives. Like Sol and Gobelet from 1976 and re-broadcast that.

  • Zion - 2012-06-14 07:45

    Pity it was not the 7de Laan studio. that would clear the air.

      Phillip - 2012-06-14 07:57

      Would have burnt like crazy... lotsa deadwood...

      TSOTSI Smilification - 2012-06-14 11:41

      I LOLOLOLAT! I HAVE BEEN ON 7De Laans set; the actors and crew are as shoddy as the production quality.

  • Traci Galbraith-van Reenen - 2012-06-14 07:48

    Haha - Karma for not broadcasting rugby?

      Lynton - 2012-06-14 08:12

      Probably more a disgruntled fan than Karma :)

  • - 2012-06-14 07:48

    Fires and fires, how do these fires starts? Or isit sum iresponsible peeps? I wonder

      aristar.aristary - 2012-06-14 10:54

      Someone arson around with matches

  • th3.grudg3 - 2012-06-14 07:49

    i smell foul play... Lets hope d place was insured we n broadcasting wnt b much interrupted...

      Phillip - 2012-06-14 08:01

      They might get creative and have the entire cast visit the 7de Laan stage... get a good cultural mix-up going.... maybe Oom Oubaas can help liven things up, but then again...

      Squeegee - 2012-06-14 08:21

      Foul play or fowl play? Someone left their KFC in the microwave too long.

      yolande.rwaai - 2012-06-14 08:51

      Scenes are shot 3 months in advance.

  • Burtfred - 2012-06-14 07:50

    About the best thing that can happen at the useless SABC, Burn it down and start over again.

      luvhani.mphagi - 2012-06-14 07:55

      Dude take it easy, one of these day your anger is gonna lead 2 a heart attack, relax bossw...

      roarscurrin - 2012-06-14 08:38

      Yea and for some of us we actually do freelance work in television, and our work comes from them at times...

  • sadiemy - 2012-06-14 07:51

    It was Cherel......

      eyesears.handsfeet - 2012-06-14 07:55

      LOL!! Haaahaaaahaaa!

      Phillip - 2012-06-14 07:58

      Very sharp comment....

      lorain.maseko - 2012-06-14 08:14

      I think it was Barker.

  • sinenhlanhla.chiliza - 2012-06-14 07:52

    Y couldn't it be Generations? Smh

      lorain.maseko - 2012-06-14 08:14

      That would be a blessing.

  • sinenhlanhla.chiliza - 2012-06-14 07:52

    Y couldn't it be Generations? Smh

  • Stephen - 2012-06-14 07:53

    Maybe Cherel started it.Or perhaps Benjamin ?????????

  • JohnDough - 2012-06-14 07:57

    ""As the SABC we are very shocked. As you know financially we are not sound," <----- ROFL! Rather punny coming from a broadcasting company. See what happens when the SANC don't broadcast the rugby!

  • kgaugelo.mashilo.9 - 2012-06-14 07:57

    I hope TV licence fees won't cover the costs

  • Phillip - 2012-06-14 08:04

    "As the SABC we are very shocked. As you know financially we are not sound," he said I wonder why they are in financial doodoo's?... sure they are shocked, less for the 'fat cats' to put in their gatsakke...

  • bmaestro - 2012-06-14 08:10

    tragic horrific incident.very saddening sabc going to recover?-HEAVEN ONLY KNOWZ-

  • dianne.b.hartley - 2012-06-14 08:13

    All soapie studios should burn down because they're ALL damn annoying.

      Squeegee - 2012-06-14 08:23

      hear, hear!

      dianne.b.hartley - 2012-06-14 08:33

      @Squeegee, glad someone agrees with me!

      yolande.rwaai - 2012-06-14 08:47


  • Steve - 2012-06-14 08:21

    etv soapie, \scandal\, airs at the same as \isidingo\....remember!!!

  • jose.zunguze - 2012-06-14 08:22

    This is a very serious matter. a building like the one harbouring the SABC suppose to be the most secure of all. I wander what is going on. hope no dirty tricks are at work here.

  • fred.vandermerwe - 2012-06-14 08:23

    Black out... SABC... Welcome!

  • africanwolf - 2012-06-14 08:25

    Don't touch me on my studio!!!

  • JohnDough - 2012-06-14 08:43

    I smell a huge rat here. Why is it that the fire happens after the SABC sold Isidingo to Mnet (28/05/2012). Nice fat insurance claims.

  • motsusi.tmoney - 2012-06-14 09:26

    For all y'all Isidingo lovers, Im sorry for the loss!

  • Leonard Mokgotlhwe - 2012-06-14 09:59

    taxpayer get ready to pay for damage

  • aristar.aristary - 2012-06-14 10:53

    Probably someone arson around with matches

  • samanthamichellewright - 2012-06-14 15:52

    The SABC could have averted the fire and saved millions of rands. It would have been pretty easy. This article explains:

  • pages:
  • 1