Fugitive tells how he bludgeoned wife

2012-08-15 10:48

Pietermaritzburg - Having bludgeoned his wife, Caroline Rajah, with a metal handle, Madhan Maharaj got into bed beside her bloodied body and went to sleep.

The following morning he was “shocked” to discover she was not moving and then went to his son for help.

Maharaj, 42, was rearrested for Rajah’s murder on Monday, after evading justice for seven years following his escape from Fort Napier hospital, where he had been sent for mental observation.

He described in the regional court on Tuesday how he’d beaten Rajah, 32, to death with a metal handle on September 3, 2005.


Maharaj said he attacked Rajah after accusing her of having an affair, which she denied.

“I assaulted her all over her body with this handle and I may have even used my fists because I was that angry. I hit her on her head, her feet, her hands, her body and I did use force such (sic) that the deceased started to bleed on several parts of her body and blood from her injuries transferred to my clothing,” he said in a statement read out to Regional Court magistrate Riaan de Wet.

Maharaj said that before the incident he and Rajah had “numerous fights and arguments” as he suspected her of having “several affairs”.

About a week before killing her, he spotted her with another man, he said. “They were holding hands and they then subsequently boarded a taxi,” he said.

“On the night in question, we were arguing in the bedroom and the deceased was on the bed.

“She was denying the incident and she was telling me that this never happened. I got very angry at that stage and I could not take her lying anymore and I picked up a metal handle that attaches to a fish net, which was in the room, and I assaulted her.”

Maharaj said Rajah was alive when he stopped beating her. Then he went to a neighbour whom he thought would help them deal with their problems.


“He was unable to do so and I then went to speak to my sister, who did not want to involve herself in my problems, and I eventually went home. I got home and the lights were off and I did not speak to the deceased and I got into bed and went to sleep.”

When he woke the next morning, he found Rajah was not moving and was “shocked”.

He was arrested at his son’s home.

Maharaj said he had not wanted to kill Rajah, but foresaw the possibility of her dying of her injuries.

He said that a few days into his stay at Fort Napier Hospital, he noticed that no one was attending to his ward and walked out. He made his way to the roof, jumped over a fence and escaped.

Maharaj will be sentenced on Wednesday.

  • alu.ntsandeni - 2012-08-15 11:11

    Hang that man

      squeegee.pilot - 2012-08-15 11:25

      SO curriemaniac, you think its ok to beat your wife to death? Mmm what does your wife think of that?

      zambezi.river - 2012-08-15 12:22

      Durban sharks............. an all!

      jowza1 - 2012-08-15 12:28 this rate there will only be me and you left.

  • bond.ndalo - 2012-08-15 11:19

    He does not show any remorse....put him away from the society.

  • trevor.izatt - 2012-08-15 11:25

    Next Dewani will say he never realised his wife was in the car on the way to her death that he never planned...... what crap.Eye for an eye buddy

  • janice.mcmaster.92 - 2012-08-15 11:33

    This Indian fellow clearly wasnt thinking, and all!

      janice.mcmaster.92 - 2012-08-15 12:30

      Oh beefcake, I come from Natal - you got to LOVE Indian fellas!

  • lerato.tsagae - 2012-08-15 11:59

    U deserve to be killed the same way you killed the vulnerable woman go to hell and meet your fellow buddies who committed the same horrendous acts like you........

  • bless.boswell - 2012-08-15 20:29

    This is not a well puppy.

  • pages:
  • 1