Gas explosion kills 3 in Pretoria

2012-12-21 11:09

Pretoria - Three people, including a child, were killed in a gas explosion at a house in Eersterust, Pretoria on Friday morning, Tshwane Fire and Emergency Management Services said.

A man and a woman were among those killed, and one person sustained serious injuries, said spokesperson Johan Pieterse.

The injured person was rushed to a local hospital.

"It appeared as if there was a gas leak in the house and something might have ignited it," said Pieterse.

The force of the explosion blew away 75% of the house's roof and one room was set alight.

The fire was extinguished and the investigations were handed over to the police.


  • lskosana3 - 2012-12-21 11:21

    This is exactly why I'm terrified of gas appliances

      lara.vanrooyen.1 - 2012-12-21 14:18

      Very sad. I agree with you.

  • sbisschoff - 2012-12-21 11:23

    Terrible :(

  • vrasha - 2012-12-21 11:27

    very sad story indeed especially this time of the year when everyone is about to celebrate christmas and new year.may their soul rest in peace.

  • johnny.better.12 - 2012-12-21 11:55

    Shame, RIP

  • yolanda.r.haripersad - 2012-12-21 12:03

    unfortunately in SA we are so fimilar with electricity in the household that we are not adequately prepared or trained in gas safety at home. Since the electricity crisis stems from government incompentency, and as more of us turn to gas as an alternate source of energy, legislation is needed for gas use in the home.

  • annelise.vanderschyff - 2012-12-21 12:24

    RIP I am very scared of gas!!!!

  • stanley.lefleur - 2012-12-21 12:41

    Sorry to hear. Condolences to the families affected. May God comfort them only as He can. R.I.P. No need to be afraid of gas. Safety measures and awareness programs need too be enforced.

  • gary.bhengu - 2012-12-21 12:51

    This is very sad, condolences to the family. If you using gas at home, please be extra careful

  • ntokozo.cebekhulu.5 - 2012-12-21 13:07

    This is very sad

  • irma.white.9 - 2012-12-21 13:11

    Oh how sad. Gas is very handy but with ANY form of energy, it is not 100% safe. Very sorry for the family, this is very tragic.

  • pages:
  • 1