Gasa's murderer granted leave to appeal

2013-05-17 18:03

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban - A man convicted of the murder of businessman Nhlanhla Gasa, was granted leave to appeal his 30-year sentence in the Durban Regional Court on Friday.

Magistrate Anand Maharaj said the situation required another court to step in and make a decision on whether the sentence was fair and just.

Mbulelo Arthur Ntlauzana, 25, was sentenced in April to 20 years for murder and 10 years for robbery and malicious damage to property.

Ntlauzana admitted in his statement, read by his lawyer Hycenth Mlotshwa, that he stabbed Gasa several times after the businessman tried to kiss him on the cheek.

When Mlotshwa brought the application for leave to appeal, he said the court overlooked the fact that the murder was not premeditated.

He said the deceased was partly to blame because he was the instigator, as he tried to have sexual intercourse with Ntlauzana against his will.

"The applicant [Ntlauzana] tried, but to no avail, to avoid the confrontation on the night in question. However, the deceased was persistent in trying to get what he wanted," Mlotshwa said.

He said Maharaj did not consider that Ntlauzana pleaded guilty to all the charges and co-operated with police after he made the confession.

Extra five years

Mlotshwa said the magistrate had not given reasons why an extra five years was added to the minimum sentence of 15 years for the murder charge.

The magistrate had also not considered that Ntlauzana was young, had three minor children, and was a first time offender, he said.

"It is respectively submitted that the sentence imposed by the learned magistrate on the applicant [Ntlauzana] is unjust in that it is disproportionate to the crime," he said.

State prosecutor Kuveshni Pillay opposed the application, saying the court had dealt adequately with the crime and the sentence had not been shockingly inappropriate.

Ntlauzana was arrested in Groutville on the KwaZulu-Natal north coast on 13 April.

Gasa's body was found floating in the Tugela River in March.

Police found his burnt-out Jaguar close by.

Gasa was the father of South African television personality Noni Gasa.

Read more on:    nhlanhla gasa  |  durban

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.