News24

Gauteng should tackle shack fires: DA

2013-04-16 13:49

Johannesburg - The Gauteng government should do more to prevent shack fires in informal settlements, the DA said on Tuesday.

"There should be spaces between shacks so that fires don't spread, and fire exercises so that people know how best to put out fires," said Democratic Alliance Gauteng leader Jack Bloom.

Four children were killed in a shack fire in Germiston, east of Johannesburg, on Tuesday.

The boys, aged 3 to 13, were sleeping in the four-roomed shack when it caught fire.

It was suspected that a candle and paraffin stove, which were kept burning in the shack through the night, caused the fire.

Bloom said the provincial government should promote the use of solar lights and safer stoves, and should educate communities about fire prevention.

"Every year, about a thousand shacks burn down in Gauteng, mostly due to candles and paraffin stoves," he said.

Comments
  • Shaun McCormack - 2013-04-16 14:02

    Come on DA, take the stick out of your own eye!

      Stephan Butler - 2013-04-16 14:13

      Shaun I agree with u. But in my town suburb where I stay DA is in control and we don't have shack problems. And our service dellivery is top knotch.

      Jean Tredoux - 2013-04-16 14:59

      I understand the DA WC and the DA Gauteng is separate and must speak out on their own provincial issues but come on DA, I'm a supporter but the majority of shack fires happens in your own back yard, if your solution of having space between shacks worked so well then why is it still happening in the WC? Today you're only making noise!

      Stephan Butler - 2013-04-16 15:14

      @ Jean Only half way agree with u. But the Main government is ANC over the country. And its them that don't wana let DA in Western Cape have money to build RDP houses. They rather sepnd tax money on stupid things like Nkandla.

      DuToitCoetzee - 2013-04-16 15:43

      Jean I think they do not full-on attack the Gauteng government, but just made a statement due to that they experience and identified the same problems in Cape Town. In Gauteng they are the opposition and it will be their job to advise/put forward what they think should happen.

  • Themba Mbele - 2013-04-16 14:12

    The DA should tacle crime in the WC

      Stephan Butler - 2013-04-16 14:25

      Themba???? What u on about? The article is about Shack fires in Gauteng province. HOUSING PROBLEM Why make a stupid comment like crime in Western Cape provence? U must be a government worker. U are acting like a real RACIST

      Tersia Louw - 2013-04-16 17:53

      Haven't you heard, Themba? They're trying to tackle crime (which is the government's job), but Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa doesn't want to know. Wonder why that is?

  • Thipe Denzo - 2013-04-16 14:15

    The government must deliver as they promised and stop wasting the Tax payers money. People need house not some solar project that will make one MP rich

  • tom.hudson3 - 2013-04-16 14:52

    The authorities must enforce the minimum gap between houses. That is the biggest problem. This comment may be a first for News24, no racial point scoring!

  • BraSteve Myaluze - 2013-04-16 15:03

    About a month ago a shack fire left two people dead in WC, and in ANC wOrds, the DA had to take full responsibility. It will be interesting to hear the ANC comments this time. This is cheap politics from both parties

      Stephan Butler - 2013-04-16 15:10

      Only half way agree with u. But the Main government is ANC over the country. And its them that don't wana let DA in Western Cape have money to build RDP houses. They rather sepnd tax money on stupid things like Nkandla.

      Logic - 2013-04-16 18:43

      The ANC is more responsible for these shack fires than the DA, the ANC gives the western cape peanuts to deal with their problems and the DA still do a better job than the ANC

  • Guy Snelling - 2013-04-16 15:43

    Why are you all blaming the politicians. Shouldn't people take responsibilty for their own safety? An open flame in a shack will cause a fire, so don't leave it unattended. AND DON"T LEAVE CHILDREN ALONE !!!

  • Mark Crosbie - 2013-04-16 20:40

    Shack dwellers need to be educated about the dangers of CO poisoning. Many of the deaths in shacks are caused by this highly toxic gas and government need to assist. There are relatively low cost smoke and co detectors available for them to use.

  • Kevin Dawson - 2013-04-17 06:47

    Most Accidental Candle Fires can be Prevented I am a former UNMIL Fire Marshal that has a special place in my heart for my friends and Firefighters in Africa. Now Kevin's Kandles are available - How do we encourage suppliers like Monoprix or Bridgeway to offer these candles to all Africans? They are Much Safer than paraffin candles, less than half the price and environmentally friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out! In January 2012 another tragic accidental candle fire occurred in Monrovia, Liberia. 150 homes were destroyed and 2,500 people were left homeless. This tragedy could have been prevented with Kevin’s Kandles. It’s time for the UN and other Poverty Relief Groups to embrace these Much Safer candles. A shipping carton measures 15 x 15 x 20”, weighs 25 pounds and contains 500 packs of Kevin’s Kandles. Each pack has the potential to provide a family with 3+ months of safer candle illumination. To watch the demonstration video and read the “Small Steps” folder visit www.asafercandle.com Let’s reduce the number of accidental candle fires!

  • Kevin Dawson - 2013-04-17 06:48

    Most Accidental Candle Fires can be Prevented I am a former UNMIL Fire Marshal that has a special place in my heart for my friends and Firefighters in Africa. Now Kevin's Kandles are available - How do we encourage suppliers like Monoprix or Bridgeway to offer these candles to all Africans? They are Much Safer than paraffin candles, less than half the price and environmentally friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out! In January 2012 another tragic accidental candle fire occurred in Monrovia, Liberia. 150 homes were destroyed and 2,500 people were left homeless. This tragedy could have been prevented with Kevin’s Kandles. It’s time for the UN and other Poverty Relief Groups to embrace these Much Safer candles. A shipping carton measures 15 x 15 x 20”, weighs 25 pounds and contains 500 packs of Kevin’s Kandles. Each pack has the potential to provide a family with 3+ months of safer candle illumination. To watch the demonstration video and read the “Small Steps” folder visit www.asafercandle.com Let’s reduce the number of accidental candle fires!

  • Kevin Dawson - 2013-04-26 17:16

    Shack Fires can be prevented. To view the demonstration video & learn more visit www.asafercandle.com

  • pages:
  • 1