Guard, handyman questioned in Maqubela trial

2013-11-05 18:48
Thandi Maqubela (Picture: Sapa)

Thandi Maqubela (Picture: Sapa)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - The testimonies of a security guard and handyman, who claimed to have had the last contact with acting Judge Patrick Maqubela, were questioned by the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday.

Judge John Murphy said the handyman changed the times that he apparently saw Maqubela in the basement of his complex the morning of his death in 2009.

"His evidence is tainted by contradictions and shortcomings... A single witness must be treated with caution."

Murphy said that while he cast no aspersions on the handyman's character, human memory was often fallible.

He was reading his lengthy judgment in the trial of Maqubela's wife Thandi and her co-accused Vela Mabena.

They have pleaded not guilty to suffocating Patrick Maqubela with cling-wrap in his flat in Sea Point, Cape Town, on Friday 5 June 2009. His body was discovered that Sunday afternoon.

She has also denied guilt on fraud and forgery charges related to a document she claims is her husband's will.

Murphy questioned the testimony of a security guard who allowed Mabena into the complex that Friday, apparently to collect a book from Thandi Maqubela.

The guard testified that he spoke to the acting judge over the intercom before letting Mabena in. He testified that the acting judge responded: "Send him".

Conflicting statements

The court said this conflicted with the guard's statement to the police, in which he said the acting judge had said: "Let him in. He is my friend".

Murphy said the guard's description of Mabena and his cars changed after he was questioned by the police.

"The fact that he submitted to police pressure and coaching means he was likely coached too about when he saw accused two [Mabena]."

The court rejected his testimony and said the last contact with the acting judge was a conversation he had with a friend that Thursday night.

"There is no evidence of any person, apart from accused one [Maqubela], who saw or spoke to the deceased after that time."

Access cards to the complex could not provide sufficient evidence of people's movements, because doors were sometimes left open.

CCTV footage of exits was also not helpful.

"As fate would have it, these were not working properly from Thursday to Monday. As a result, no footage was available," Murphy said.

Read more on:    thandi maqubela  |  vela mabena  |  patrick maqubela  |  cape town

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.