Heater fumes kill mom, toddler

2015-06-24 14:25

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - A woman and her 2-year-old son have died after they inhaled carbon monoxide from a coal burning brazier (or imbaula) they had lit overnight inside their shack in Ivory Park extension 6, Johannesburg emergency services said on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old's husband and their second son, aged 8, were both in a critical condition at the Tembisa hospital, east of Johannesburg, spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi said.

Emergency services were alerted after neighbours suspected something was wrong.

Mulaudzi urged those using the home-made heating devices inside their homes to make sure the rooms were well ventilated.

Read more on:    johannesburg

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.