KZN man bitten by puff adder

2012-01-12 18:08

Johannesburg - A KwaZulu-Natal man is in a critical condition after he was bitten by a puff adder in Thornville, Pietermaritzburg on Thursday morning, paramedics said.

Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha said the man was bitten on his right hand while handling the snake.

When paramedics arrived the man's hand was severely swollen. A T-shirt had been tied around his arm in an effort to prevent the venom from spreading to the rest of his body. He was taken to a hospital in Edendale.

Puff adder venom is cytotoxic (tissue destroying).

An untreated bite can cause an edema (extensive watery blood oozing from the puncture wounds) nausea and vomiting, swelling of the lymph nodes, necrosis, gangrene and can often be fatal.

  • Shirley - 2012-01-12 18:25

    Dude the lesson here is DONT handle dangerous snakes! Hope you make a full recovery! Think twice before you try this again!

      Lara - 2012-01-12 20:32

      What is it with dudes and their snakes?

  • Durbanite88 - 2012-01-12 18:40

    I have always been been frightened of snakes, that Dr on Discovery Channel ( dangerous encounters) on DSTV is misleading people..snakes are dangerous..hope you recover soonest pal.

      Bryan - 2012-01-13 09:14

      Snakes arent actually that dangerous, they dont go out of their way to attack humans. If they feel threatened then they'll act to defent themselves. The fact that the guy was bitten while handling it makes you wonder how much experience he has with venomous snakes.

  • gillian.sanderson - 2012-01-12 18:55

    Friend of ours bitten by baby puffy just before xmas - lost the tip of his index finger and spent xmas in hossies! Nasty bites . . .

  • Beetroot - 2012-01-12 19:12

    A puff adder is a seriously dangerous snake. Why would you want to handle it? Its like trying to swim with a great white sharks. Humans have their limits. Respect the boundaries!!!

  • Wendy - 2012-01-12 19:57

    I wish him well and a full recovery!

  • Zifnab - 2012-01-13 07:52

    Mayhaps he was milking the snake to make anti-venom in which case I fully understand. If he was cleaning the cage of his "pet" snake, less sympathy from me.

  • Ma - 2012-01-13 10:00


  • pages:
  • 1