News24

Lenasia demolitions remain on hold

2012-11-15 15:58

Johannesburg - The demolition of houses illegally erected in Lenasia will not continue until the matter is argued in the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg next week, the court heard on Thursday.

Lawyers for the department, and those representing the department of local government and housing, told the court no houses would be demolished until court proceedings began on 23 November.

The Gauteng local government and housing department began destroying the houses last Thursday and Friday because the land they were built on was intended for government housing, and had been sold illegally.

About 50 houses had been destroyed and another 113 were in line to be demolished.

The plots of land were apparently sold fraudulently for amounts ranging from R2 500 to R95 000.

The buyers were given forged deeds of sale with the department's logo.

Last week, housing department spokesperson Motsamai Motlhaolwa said residents were told in 2006 not to build houses on the land.

Comments
  • warren.rodel - 2012-11-15 17:14

    On hold until the ANC feels otherwise.

  • pages:
  • 1