News24

MEC shocked at teachers' allowance cut

2013-01-25 12:19

Johannesburg - Limpopo education MEC Dickson Masemola was shocked to learn about the termination of teachers' rural allowance, his spokesperson said on Friday.

"The MEC therefore commits himself to engage with the Minister [of Basic Education Angie Motshekga] in order to reinstate this incentive. He is extremely disappointed with this decision to terminate the incentive," his spokesperson Pat Kgomo said in a statement.

Kgomo said the MEC committed himself to speedily resolving the matter.

On Thursday, the SA Democratic Teachers' Union (Sadtu) said it was dismayed that the provincial education department had terminated teachers' rural allowance.

"As Sadtu, we view this action in a serious light and we feel it is a clear provocation of our members. We will not take this lying down," Sadtu provincial secretary Matome Raphasha said in a statement.

Not properly informed

He said teachers were not properly informed about the decision in a circular issued in December 2012. They were surprised to realise their salaries had been cut.

"These educators woke up on 22 January 2013 to find their salaries reduced. This decision flies in the face of the discussions that were already taking place at both the provincial and national Education Labour Relations Council," he said.

It was not "fair" to cut the salaries in the middle of the financial year. The money had been budgeted for a period of 12 months.

"They should have consulted and said in April 2013 we will terminate this allowance."

The rural allowance was meant to retain teachers working in deep rural areas, and in no fee and remote schools.

He said the cut of the incentive would discourage them from working in those areas.

"We wish to inform the department that targeting educators' allowances is a bad strategy that will be met with a concomitant action of monumental scale."

The union threatened to mobilise its members in the province to embark on a strike in the next two weeks. On Friday, national education spokesperson Panyaza Lesufi said he knew nothing about the matter and he referred queries to the provincial spokesperson.

The education department has been under administration since 5 December 2011.

 

Comments
  • bless.boswell - 2013-01-25 12:33

    Is it maybe to fund the premier's extravagant lifestyle? Why has that not been investigated?

  • toni.k.mcquillen - 2013-01-25 13:09

    Funny how we preach education and then cut the legs off the beast. Seriously that is shocking! perhaps less extravagent parties and more money injected into education would be a better solution.

  • Modikoe.Elias.Ramongana - 2013-01-25 14:01

    MEC knows the procedure,if its vebal its not true but if its in black

  • gladness - 2013-01-25 14:31

    Who did the cutting.? As usual, nobody seems to know. Perhaps the money has been cut because it was all stolen by government employees !!! - nothing different

  • tbmarcussen - 2013-01-25 14:50

    Stupid people working in the kuk education department ,and they get paid nice, live in nice houses , drive nice cars and have nice parties . while the teachers get peanuts, drive kuk cars, live in kuk houses, and eat kuk food and forget about having fun , they can't afford it. where is the love!?

  • craig.s.henry - 2013-01-25 14:51

    I smell fraud

  • pages:
  • 1