Man hands self in for NFP murders

2012-07-24 08:47

Johannesburg - A man handed himself to KwaZulu-Natal police on Monday for the murders of two National Freedom Party councillors earlier this year.

The 56-year-old arrived at the Greytown police station around 08:30, where he was detained, police spokesperson Colonel Vincent Mdunge said in a statement.

He was expected to appear in the Msinga Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.

Bongani Tshelembe, 52, was shot dead on May 1, and Isaac Thulebona Nhlebela, 46, on July 6.

Tshelembe and two other men were driving to Keate's Drift, from a meeting in Tugela Ferry, when they came under fire on the R33 road.

Tshelembe and another man in the car were killed, while the third occupant was seriously injured.

Nhlebela was shot dead when he stopped his car for his son to open a farm gate, on the road between Dundee and Nqutu. Two other people in the car were unhurt.

Last Monday four men appeared in the Msinga Magistrate's Court in connection with Tshelembe's murder.

Nonsindiso Dlamini, 22, Mkhonzeni Ntuli, 37, Mlindeli Mchunu, 31, and Mzonjani Mgwaba, 41, would be back in court on Wednesday for a bail application. They remain in police custody.

In the latest killing, NFP member Thamsanqa Mnyango was shot dead in Umlazi on Saturday, bringing to 22 the number of party members killed since the party was formed in January 2011.

  • adrien.mcguire - 2012-07-24 09:21

    Well, the murder goes on ! It seems the way in this country..... don't like something or somebody... Kill them ! Where are we headed?

  • blaine.dillon.5 - 2012-07-24 10:04

    So the criminals have to hand themselves in these days because our police force can't catch them.

  • carolyn.dewrance - 2012-07-24 10:11

    No Bail. You bastards just want to let them free to kill again/

  • sharon.a.marks.9 - 2012-07-24 13:55

    if these murderers are handing themselves in then this is bigger than normal killings,they must have been promised something by someone big

  • pages:
  • 1