News24

Marikana inquiry postponement rejected

2012-10-01 14:12

Rustenburg - An application to postpone the judicial inquiry into the shooting at the Lonmin platinum mine was rejected on Monday.

Commission chairperson Ian Farlam said the in loco inspection in Marikana would continue on Monday afternoon.

This was after advocate Dumisa Ntsebeza, representing 20 families of those killed, asked the commission to postpone the matter for 14 days.

Ntsebeza said the families were in the rural areas of the Eastern Cape, and did not know the inquiry was starting on Monday. Ntsebeza's application was supported by Dali Mpofu, representing the arrested and injured miners.

Farlam said he had been informed the social development department was arranging to bring the families to Rustenburg. He said they would be shown a video of the in loco inspection, to be conducted on Monday, and if need be would be taken to the scene.

Earlier, Farlam said the parties would start by looking at the Lonmin mine's shafts. The commission would not go into the shafts on Monday, but do so later if needed.

The inspection would then proceed to Wonderkop, where the commission would look at the koppie where thousands of striking miners gathered in August during their six-week strike.

"We will then go see the informal settlement," said Farlam.

The commission would also inspect the so-called "klein koppie".

Oral and documented evidence

"We will then go to the place on the way to Karee," he said.

This is where two policemen were hacked to death and two miners killed and one injured on 13 August.

Farlam said the living conditions of the miners would be inspected -their hostels and informal housing. Lonmin had also asked the commission to look at the formal housing supplied by the mine, he said.

People would be allowed to point out places which they considered relevant to the inquiry. The descriptions of what happened at the site of the violence would be recorded.

Farlam said two days had been set aside for the inspection. Oral and documented evidence would be presented to the commission on Wednesday.

A total of 34 people were killed and 78 wounded in a shooting when police tried to disperse striking workers on 16 August.

Another 10 people were killed in violent protests the preceding week.

Comments
  • phumi.ntlabati - 2012-10-01 14:29

    The arrogance and insensitiveness of our judges sometimes leaves a lot to be desired! How can families who are still grieving and some in mourning to be dragged to enquiries? Even the TRC sideshow never stooped this low! These families are worried about where their meal is going to come from next, since they don't have any breadwinners anymore! The commission should start addressing this issue first!

      crracker.crackerr - 2012-10-01 14:58

      Where is it stated in the article that the reason for their non-attendance at this stage is mourning? They will be shown the evidence already presented when they later arrive. Leave the commission to do its work. Scarcely the commission starts and the commissioner (judge) is already being put under suspicion. One of the major problems in this country is that nothing seems to be done with reasonble speed. Always some excuse to ssstreeeeetch proceedings. And NOBODY is DRAGGING anybody to attend the enquiry. If an individual's presence is really necessary and that individual cannot attend or participate then the commission can deal the individual matter on merit.

      werner.dippenaar.77 - 2012-10-01 14:59

      Maybe they should get a job like the rest of us, but they like sitting under a tree and demand. If you loose someone you get up and move on, that is life.

      petrus.ngwenya.3 - 2012-10-01 15:07

      The "breadwinners" did not get any money in any case because they were sitting on their backsides hoping to get more money with less work. Get the job/comission done with, it is another waste of tax money.

      sandra.j.rennie - 2012-10-01 15:14

      phumi.ntlabati While I don't approve of violence etc.,this commission was set up directly after the tragedy. This was done by Mr Zuma, our country's President and needed to be done urgently and quickly so that facts could be ascertained. I am sure Judge Farlam knows what he is doing, and postponing this enquiry would not do any one any good. I am convinced that the people of the Eastern Cape would have been made aware of the dates concerned. We cannot postpone everything in this country, as is at the moment, because then nothing would get done on time. The fact that you call the people breadwinners leaves a lot to be desired. Is that all they mean to their families - money and not a person ?

      okonkwo7 - 2012-10-01 16:30

      In 20 years time, I will happily return to Zimbabwe my home! Black South Africans fail to understand the simple fact: non nobis sed posteris! Zimbabwe will rise again

  • givenvon.baloyi - 2012-10-01 15:07

    What material value will the family of the deceased add to the enquiry. For all we know the family were thousands kilometers away from the incident. What would be significant to the families is the final report. No need to drag this enquiry

  • tshepo.thinane.9 - 2012-10-01 15:13

    There is no need for families to be brought to the scene where their loved has passe away, it is like peeling the healing wound. let them sort the case, blame who ever is to be blamed for thbe killing and compensate the bereaved families , that is all.

  • thabo.lekwane.7 - 2012-10-01 15:24

    Dey only want 2 bribe de families.

      ally.oh.7 - 2012-10-01 15:29

      You're an idiot of DE worst kind -- too ignorant to hide your stupidity.

  • ally.oh.7 - 2012-10-01 15:25

    Please DOT NOT FORGET the 10 people killed before the Thursday when the police took action.

      thabo.lekwane.7 - 2012-10-01 15:42

      ally i dnt blame u cz mayb u've got share or benefits @ lonmin.

      deon.louw.7505 - 2012-10-01 15:53

      They say crime does not pay but in this case murder lead to increases in pay. It should never have been allowed.

  • colin.nelson.568 - 2012-10-01 15:34

    This matter is of national concern there can be no delay in finalising it,

  • bobby.boon.18 - 2012-10-01 21:38

    Welldone to the Police They shouldve used more Force those idiots got what they deserved!! Shows you don't mess with the NEW SAPS!!!!!

  • pages:
  • 1