Marikana response 'not operationally sound'

2014-09-03 14:39


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pretoria - Attempts to disarm striking miners at Marikana in August 2012 were not "operationally sound", a public order policing expert told the Farlam Commission of Inquiry on Wednesday.

"If it had been operationally sound to do it on that day, then it should have been done," Gary White told the commission's hearings in Pretoria.

White, a former chief superintendent with Northern Ireland's police, was asked by the SA Human Rights Commission to provide a professional analysis of the Marikana shootings.

Could have waited

"My point all along has been that it was not operationally sound to do it [attempting to disarm the thousands of protesters]. Perhaps it could have waited," White said to questioning by Ishmael Semenya, for the police.

Semenya said there had been a clear instruction to police officers at Marikana to disarm the protesting miners on 16 August 2012.

White responded: "That has been my point, I question the how and when."

The inquiry, chaired by retired judge Ian Farlam, is investigating the deaths of 44 people during strike-related violence at Lonmin's platinum mining operations at Marikana, near Rustenburg, North West, two years ago.

Thirty-four people, mostly striking mineworkers, were shot dead in a clash with the police, more than 70 were wounded, and 250 were arrested on 16 August 2012. Police were apparently trying to disarm and disperse them.

In the preceding week, 10 people, including two policemen and two Lonmin security guards, were killed.

'Inappropriate force'

Semenya said if it was established that the use of stun grenades and teargas provoked an attack on police on 13 August, then the officers were left with limited non-lethal methods to manage the protesters.

On that day Warrant Officers Hendrick Tsietsi and Sello Ronnie Lepaaku were hacked to death in a confrontation with protesting miners. Several protesters were killed.

White said in all crowd management situations, police had to expect their actions to provoke a response.

"From evidence, it appears the crowd was being escorted by police officers. An officer, it seems, fired stun grenades in advance of any fracas breaking out.

"That fracas perhaps came as a result of the use of inappropriate force," White said.

Read more on:    police  |  marikana inquiry

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.