Medics allegedly refuse to take dying man

2015-09-23 10:09
Mother of 22-year-old Salvador Isaacs, Elizabeth Goldstone, and his brother, Denvil Isaacs, comfort each other at home after his death.

Mother of 22-year-old Salvador Isaacs, Elizabeth Goldstone, and his brother, Denvil Isaacs, comfort each other at home after his death. (Ian Carbutt, The Witness)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pietermaritzburg - Hours after KZN EMS medics allegedly refused to take him to hospital, 22-year-old Salvador Isaacs died in a pool of blood in his parents’ home last Saturday morning.

Isaacs had been in and out of hospital for the last few weeks with a bleeding stomach ulcer and was initially discharged from Grey’s Hospital on Monday.

After the ulcer began bleeding again, his family called a KZN EMS ambulance to take him to hospital, however, his sister, Delene, said the ambulance never arrived and after her brother collapsed, she called a private taxi and rushed him to hospital.

“The hospital took three hours to stabilise him and when he was discharged from Grey’s last Thursday afternoon, they sent him home with a letter to say if the ulcer started bleeding again, he must be taken to hospital immediately.”

KZN Health Department spokesperson Sam Mkhwanazi said they would be investigate the matter. “The department has noted with concern the allegations concerning paramedics from Emergency Medical Services.

“It takes these allegations seriously, and as such, an investigation will be conducted in order to get to the bottom of this matter,” said Mkhwanazi.

Huddled in their Eastwood home, the Isaacs family recounted the trauma of having to watch the youngest family member die because ambulance staff “insisted he was fine”.

Isaacs’s mother, Elizabeth Goldstone, who was at home with Isaacs on Friday night when the ambulance arrived, said the two paramedics could see “his bed sheets soaked with blood” but would not take him to hospital.

“I told them he had been vomiting blood and they told me he was fine, and to call them in the morning if we were still worried.

“They told me it was a busy weekend and they had accidents and stabbings to go to and Northdale [Hospital] would be too full to take my son and would not treat him.

“They left at around 10pm. We called again at 5am on Saturday morning, but by the time they arrived, after 5.30am, he had already died.”

Isaacs’s older brother and best friend, Denvil, said his little brother was a happy person who was always joking and always showed respect towards his elders.

“He had so many plans. He helped me a lot with building work and was so pro-active with looking out for another job.”

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  health

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.