Miners to be buried soon

2012-08-31 21:00

Johannesburg - Twenty six of the 34 miners killed in the Marikana shooting will be buried this weekend, the inter-ministerial committee said on Friday.

Committee spokesperson Harold Maloka said the government had so far issued 43 death certificates to families for burials to take place.

The committee, consisting of several government ministers, was appointed by the presidency to help the families of the victims.

Police shot dead 34 miners and wounded 78 when they opened fire on a group of striking workers near Lonmin's Marikana mine, North West, on 16 August.

Ten other people including two police officers, were killed in the preceding week.

Maloka said 24 people would be buried on Saturday and two others on Sunday in different provinces. Eight other people would be buried on 8 September. Other funerals would take place in Swaziland and Lesotho.

Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane would attend a funeral in Lusikisiki, in the Eastern Cape.

"The committee, accompanied by members of the provincial and local governments, will attend the services to convey a message of support and offer condolences to the families of the deceased," Maloka said.

He said 18 buses and 17 taxis had been provided for families and miners to attend the funerals.