News24

Monye's calls questioned

2013-07-08 13:25

Pretoria - Calls to and from the phone of one of two men accused of plotting the murder of Chanelle Henning, were questioned in the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria on Monday.

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel put it to former Nigerian Olympic athlete Ambrose Monye that the phone calls he made and received on the morning of 8 November 2011 were linked to Henning's murder.

"Those calls were reporting back on the murder," Nel said.

"That's a lie," Monye said.

Henning, 26, died in a drive-by shooting in Faerie Glen on 8 November 2011, shortly after dropping off her child at a crèche.

Monye and his co-accused Andre Gouws have pleaded not guilty to five charges relating to an alleged conspiracy to murder Henning.

The State alleges Monye and Gouws conspired with former policeman Gerhardus "Doepie" du Plessis and Willem "Pike" Pieterse (alias Tattoo).

Du Plessis and Pieterse are serving 18-year prison terms, after confessing to their roles in the murder.

Nel referred to cellphone records that showed Pieterse phoned Monye at 07:31. Monye phoned him back directly afterwards.

Monye also phoned Pieterse again at 07:38 and at 07:52.

Nel argued Pieterse phoned him to let him know Henning had been killed, and he then phoned Pieterse three times to see if they got away.

Monye denied this, saying the calls were related to his court appearance on that day.

He said he wanted Pieterse to attend proceedings.

Comments
  • Mpsa Lerete - 2013-07-08 15:05

    Look at his face,he is as guilty as hell.We all know that the Nigerians will do anything for money.

  • Mahlatse Patience - 2013-07-08 15:36

    This nigerian barstad thinks he's the perfect liar,i wish our state will investigate more and proves him wrong,this is south africa,if he came in here with his stupid idiotic tricks,let our justice show him,he's nothing but a cruel.infact why can't they just bliksem this coackroch because is wasting time and state money?

  • pages:
  • 1