News24

One Marikana victim still unidentified

2012-08-24 20:00

Pretoria - Only one of the 34 mineworkers killed during a shooting at Lonmin's Marikana mine remains unidentified, the home affairs department said on Friday.

"We have assisted in the identification of five of the six miners who had not been identified early in the week. We are working round the clock to ensure we can help identify the last unidentified miner," Deputy Minister Fatima Chohan told reporters in Pretoria.

"Of the deceased miners, there were five foreign nationals, four from Lesotho and one from Swaziland. We have so far issued 30 death certificates to bereaved families, most of whom originate from the Eastern Cape," said Chohan.

"The department will continue to assist families of these five foreign nationals with death certificates, burial orders, and documentation for transit to their home countries," she said.

A team of senior home affairs officials was in Rustenburg, working with the inter-ministerial committee President Jacob Zuma established to help the families of the victims.

Police opened fire on striking mineworkers last Thursday, killing 34 and wounding 78. Ten people, including two police officers and two security guards, were killed the week before, bringing the death toll to 44.

Police arrested 260 miners, who remain in custody after being denied bail.