News24

Pair guilty of security complex murder

2012-09-18 19:40

Pretoria - Two Mamelodi men were convicted on Tuesday of killing a 41-year-old man in front of his girlfriend during a robbery at their house east of Pretoria.

The North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria found Mfundiso Jerome Mfazwe, 30, and John Nape Makobe, 38, guilty of shooting dead Adriaan Schutte in February last year.

Schutte was killed at his house in the Leopard Rock security complex in Equestria in the early hours of the morning.

The two were also convicted of robbing Schutte, his daughter Melissa Schutte and girlfriend Louise van der Walt of four cellphones, two laptops, an iPod, a purse and a handbag.

Schutte and the two women had already gone to bed when the two accused broke into their house and cold-bloodedly shot dead Schutte as he lay in his bed.

A police expert testified Schutte had been shot while lying down and sitting up.

He died at the scene of multiple gunshot wounds to the upper chest and face.

Traumatised

Van der Walt testified that she had woken up and started screaming when she saw two men standing in their bedroom.

She had witnessed Schutte being shot, but was so traumatised that she could not describe any of their attackers.

Schutte’s daughter Melissa identified Mfazwe as one of the men who had been in her room that night.

Both accused flatly denied having anything to do with the murder and testified that the police had assaulted them.

Mfazwe’s palm print was found in the kitchen where entrance was gained to the house.

The court rejected his evidence that he had worked in the area as a gardener a year before and had cleaned a dirty window on the outside.

Linked

Makobe was linked to the crime through Schutte’s cellphone, which he sold for R500 to a friend in Mamelodi on the same day of the murder.

The friend who was found in possession of the cellphone testified against him.

The court accepted evidence that Makobe had given the murder weapon in a plastic bag to another friend in Mamelodi, who in turn took it to a rural area where police later found the weapon hidden under a mattress.

Judge Webster said the two accused had been armed when they broke into the house.

There was no suggestion that they ever intended using the firearm to frighten anyone and it was clearly intended to facilitate the robbery, he said.

The trial was postponed to 28 January next year for sentencing proceedings.

Comments
  • phillys.winterbottom - 2012-09-19 09:21

    guilty!!!! now take these genetically retarded animals and hang them till they die.

      ann.murray.9279 - 2012-09-19 12:30

      January next year??? That's a mighty long time for the remaining victims of these scum bags!!!

  • gus.fernandes.7 - 2012-09-19 14:26

    Its fact...a cellphone can cause death in this country!

  • maditabalucia.mmatli - 2012-09-21 22:42

    that is seriously brutally murder,they deserve to be locked for many years in jail,the community its not safe around them.

  • pages:
  • 1