Pippie's skin graft a success - surgeons

2012-06-18 22:58

Johannesburg - The skin graft on Limpopo toddler Pippie Kruger, who sustained third degree burns to 80% of her body, has been a success, surgeons said on Monday.

"Overall we can say it's a success," plastic surgeon Dr Ridwan Mia told reporters in Johannesburg.

Mia said 90% of the skin which was grown in a laboratory in the United States, and then flown to South Africa, took, with there being only isolated islands where it did not attach to her body. 

"It’s perfect," an ecstatic Anice Kruger told Beeld on Monday night after seeing the first photos of Pippie’s new skin.

Anice and husband Erwin embraced when they saw the pictures.

Sheets of Pippie's own skin were grown using skin taken from her groin.

The procedure was performed at Johannesburg's Garden City Clinic, where the child has been in the high care unit for the last six months.

It was the first time this type of advanced skin graft had been performed in Africa. It had been performed in the United States and Europe.

Kruger had been hospitalised since a bottle of flammable liquid exploded in her father's hands and she was covered in flames at a braai on New Year's Eve.

  • neil.hopwood - 2012-06-18 23:10

    What a nice piece of news!! WOW! So happy for the family.

      Sean - 2012-06-18 23:24

      It`s actually nice to read some positive news ! Good little one :)

      Janice - 2012-06-19 07:17

      Thyis is better than the BEST newto start ones day!!! WELL DONE Pippie!!!!!

      JohhnyBGood - 2012-06-19 08:47

      Great news !!!

  • lownabester - 2012-06-18 23:16

    Well done Dr. Mia. You are great.

  • OzzyIn - 2012-06-18 23:16

    Great news. Congradulations to the doctors in SA and those in Boston with the technlogy to make this happen.

      gawie.vandermerwe.7 - 2012-06-19 00:00

      I agree completely with your views here. And Pippie, thank you for teaching us to always be positive. To the parents, your journey is unique. Love, guide, support and respect this girl that you have the priviledge to raise, and the same for each other. I admire your courage and salute you for finding this opportunity for Pippie.

  • monde.sibisi - 2012-06-18 23:41

    This is great news indeed, but the parents should stop being careless, flammable substances have messages that warn about handling them near children. The suffering that child went through is way too much for a toddler.

      Bruce - 2012-06-18 23:59

      How do you know the parents were careless? Accidents happen in a flash, don't make assumptions!

      Bless Boswell - 2012-06-19 00:35

      It was an accident.

      ratsaka.eugene - 2012-06-19 05:30

      Monde I like your straight forward comment. What is associated with braais, drunkenness and carelessness. Pippie didn't deserve to go through this. People should be careful, especially in the presence of children.

      Walter - 2012-06-19 05:49

      Mondi, perhaps what you meant to do was send out a warning to others about the consequences of having young children around fires and using highly inflammable substances when lighting fires. I don't think you were meaning to point a finger at the Krugers. Yes, it was a terrible accident.

      John - 2012-06-19 08:14

      Bruce...I’m inviting you in a scientific experiment with open rusty tin filled with flammable liquid and “not well” ignited braai. I can reproduce this “ACCIDENT” and I want you to be right behind me when I’m going to “ignite” the fire. I’ll show you how my instincts are pulling my hand from the fire. It happens when someone has being behind you when you playing dangerously, but that is not called an accident. Don’t call an accident the fact that you are around others. I fully agree with Monde Sibisi. That is a careless and dangerous play. … I’m happy about the recovery of Pippie Kruger. Not many of you know what takes to pass the first 48 hours of level 3 burning, affecting such a big part of the body. In most instances victims are brought into medically induced coma to survive this critical stage. Imagine this picture for a second. Pain cannot be described. Pippie is a hero going true all this. I am a firefighter and don’t want you to witness “accidents” as such in your life. Don’t be fools and rush when you igniting your braai. Charcoal needs a heat, not flames. When someone comments and suggests “think twice before you play with fire”….don’t just vote him down. Think a bit. It can happen to anyone and if you see anything that can put others into a danger… Act! Don’t just watch about what “might happen”.

      John - 2012-06-20 05:33

      Mr. Rabbit.... I know the results. Keep the details for yourself and one day share them with Pippie Kruger. "Why that happend" will not be explain with "Becouse you were there". Excuses are like certain parts of our bodies (starting with A)...we all have them.

  • arthur.hugh - 2012-06-19 00:04

    Aaw sweet :-) That's awesome news.

  • Lance Briers-Danks - 2012-06-19 05:18

    That is such awesome and Happy News. Godbless little one, all the very best for a full and healthy quick recovery. :))

  • angel.mukhwantheli - 2012-06-19 05:48

    That's a great news all thanks to Dr Mia. Atleast pippie will have a life just like other kids. What a wonderful news.

  • Eye's Cue - 2012-06-19 05:55

    WHAT ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL NEWS!!! Pippy, everyone involved in helping this little girl to heal, we salute you! Your courage and positiveness is a lesson to us all!!!

  • andre.sunnasy - 2012-06-19 06:40

    Well, lets hope this is a way forward for those less fortunate children who are the victims of shack fires every year.

      Cassandra Eileen Olivier - 2012-06-19 06:47

      I also hope it will the children in shack fires always the innocent suffer

  • jacqy.marx - 2012-06-19 07:01

    Dit is absoluut 'n wonderwerk! Dankie Here!

  • Kobus Steyn - 2012-06-19 07:02

    We are so very happy for you Pippie. Thank you Dr Mia & all the clever people out there... :)

  • sonja.p.botha - 2012-06-19 07:15

    Wonderful to hear positive news for a change....Well done. May God bless this little angle and heal her completely.

  • bmsiziba - 2012-06-19 07:19

    well done to the medical fratanity. It's a major break through to Africa to have Doctoers with such expertise.Keep up the good work.

  • Charmain - 2012-06-19 07:40

    This is great news GOD is Good very happy for the family and her

      jody.beggs - 2012-06-19 12:53

      What pray tell , did god do ? Thank you doctors is the only thing you can honestly say. Damn the man.

  • stefan.joubert.121 - 2012-06-19 07:44

    Dankie Jesus.

      jody.beggs - 2012-06-19 12:54

      What pray tell , did jesus do ? Thank you doctors is the only thing you can honestly say.

  • John - 2012-06-19 07:46

    Wonderful news. Hopes she makes a full recovery. I know I am going to get flamed for asking but I have too, "If the bottle of firelighter gel exploded in her dad's hand how come she was the one ending up with 80% burns and he walks away unscathed?"

      cindy.naude.79 - 2012-06-19 07:55

      John, if you'd been following the story from the beginning, you would know... First off, the firelighter gel is supposed to be "safe" so they are going to be sued since it shouldn't explode. Secondly, the ball of flames shot out from the fire and Pippie was right in the way of the fireball, so she got most of the damage. Also, her father did not walk away unscathed, although he did not burn as badly, both his arms/hands were burnt. Please go to the facebook page called "angel children updates" and you'll be able to find all related news articles (or go google it, then you'll get the full story)

  • cindy.naude.79 - 2012-06-19 07:52

    wooohoooo!! such good news :) go Pippie!!!

  • Chriskoi1 - 2012-06-19 07:57


  • Moi - 2012-06-19 08:01

    Wonderful news! Hope she makes a speedy recovery and her parents get to take their little princess home soon!

  • MSGRule - 2012-06-19 08:04

    Great news

  • pages:
  • 1