Police car torched in Pretoria in clashes between students and cops

2015-10-23 20:47
A police car burns after being set alight in Pretoria. (Supplied)

A police car burns after being set alight in Pretoria. (Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


WATCH: Stun grenades, Nyalas used on protesting students after Zuma's 0% announcement

2015-10-23 16:31

Watch as tear gas and armoured Nyalas are used on protesting students outside the Union Buildings in Pretoria.WATCH

Johannesburg - A police car was pelted with stones and set alight in Pretoria on Friday evening.

The incident was caused by an unknown group of men wearing yellow and red T-shirts, following a student march to the Union Buildings which spiralled out of control.

Images and video recordings of the burning car were circulated on social media. The car was apparently set alight along Leyds Street in Pretoria.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Vishnu Naidoo confirmed that the vehicle had been torched.

"A damage to property case has been opened. No arrests have been made," he said.

Students taking part in the #FeesMustFall campaign marched to the Union Buildings on Friday morning to demand that President Jacob Zuma address them.

What started as a calm protest turned into chaos.

Frustrated students began pulling apart the fencing at the Union Buildings and eventually clashed with police officers in riot gear. Stun grenades were fired and two fires were put out during the clash.

Police use stun grenades, water cannons

The situation continued to spiral out of control even after Zuma announced that a consensus had been reached during the meeting. Zuma announced there would be no fee increase next year.

Disgruntled students said Zuma had disrespected them by not addressing them after they had come to him.

A number of police nyalas and police firing rubber bullets cleared the Union Buildings' south lawns, dispersing the thousands of students who had gathered there.

Fleeing students could be seen running into the streets of Pretoria, with the nyalas still following them and officers still shooting.

In a separate incident, police allegedly used stun grenades and a water cannon to disperse a group of University of the Western Cape students who were marching towards Cape Town International Airport.

UWC spokesperson Luthando Tyhalibongo confirmed that the students' march was cut short by police.

"The police blocked the road and shot stun grenades [and a water cannon] in order to disperse the crowd and they were escorted back to campus."

He said none of the students were arrested.

When asked to comment on whether police had indeed used a water cannon and stun grenade to disperse students, Naidoo declined to comment on the matter.

Read more on:    cape town  |  pretoria  |  university fees

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.