News24

Pretoria fraud case postponed

2012-11-19 15:35

Pretoria - The trial of two men accused of defrauding the labour department of R1.2m was postponed in the Pretoria Specialised Commercial Crime Court on Monday, the labour department said.

The matter was postponed to 6 December for disclosure, spokesperson Page Boikanyo said in a statement.

This meant the State had to disclose what information it had on the accused so the defence could prepare itself.

Kenneth Martin Mahuluhulu, 32, was arrested on 29 August at the University of SA in Pretoria, after being sought for two years.

Co-accused Kathutshelo Nethengwe, 35, handed himself over after Mahuluhulu's arrest and faces the same charges.

Both were previously released on R5 000 bail.

The pair allegedly colluded with a syndicate, which included a former employee of the labour department's compensation fund, to submit fictitious claims to the fund between 2006 and 2009.

The fund acts as insurance for workers injured in the line of duty.