Probe into 5 municipal worker deaths

2012-11-07 11:07

Bloemfontein - Five workers of the Sol Plaatje Municipality were killed at Kimberley's Homevale waste water treatment plant, a city official said on Tuesday.

“We confirm the death of five of our workers…at around 12:45 [Tuesday],” said city spokesperson Sello Matsie.

He said one of the workers was cleaning the pump house, about six metres underground, when the accident happened.

Apparently sludge came out of one of the monitors in the room and filled the room to a height of about 1.5 metres.

It was suspected the worker was overcome by methane gas.

Matsie said it seemed the other workers tried to help in an attempt to rescue the first worker and they were also overcome by the gas.

He said the accident was now subject to various investigations by different state departments, the police and the municipality.

The recovery of the bodies was completed on Tuesday evening.

Matsie said questions about safety issues would be handled in the investigation.

  • marilyn.docherty.9 - 2012-11-07 11:34

    Maintainance of our sewage works etc,etc,etc, is totally neglected. This is why we have these horrific accidents. Again it will probably be blamed on the "aparteit regime" and responsibility will be shifted.

      arthurenlouise.tarr - 2012-11-07 11:58

      ANSWER = Incompetend Superintendent + Affirmative Action.

  • mashudu.ndou.3 - 2012-11-07 11:45

    Deepest Condolences to their families & friends!

  • robyne.peel.9 - 2012-11-07 12:02

    shouldnt the workers have been wearing the correct safety gear for this, like masks or something?

      arthurenlouise.tarr - 2012-11-07 12:17

      Nahh..... Anc runned municipalities fix things the African way now. Wearing ppe is a white man invention. :/

  • mzuvukile.maswana - 2012-11-07 12:07

    Too many questions need clearity in relating to this tragedy. Prior to finding the who to blame it will be appropiate to first allow due process to follow.

  • lielie.smit - 2012-11-07 13:11

    Horrible way to go

  • mshiniboys - 2012-11-07 13:58

    Just say it straight that everything is too old to stand the pressure and something had to give.Or poor procedures have been followed in terms of removing the sludge to make way for the next one.

  • pages:
  • 1