Tactical cops returned fire as bank robber lay in ambush

2015-05-08 10:18


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A MEMBER of the SAPS Tactical Response Team told the court yesterday how he and colleagues tracked down and wounded a suspect in a shootout after the foiled Richmond Capitec bank heist last January.

The incident took place near a quarry situated on the road to Smozomeni township outside Richmond on January 27 last year.

Constable Xolani Eric Ngubo gave evidence before Judge Rishi Seegobin at the trial of Thulani Doncabe (40), of Umlazi Siboniso Mpanza (20) of KwaMashu, and Sandile Shongwe (34) of Umlazi. They face multiple charges arising from an attempted robbery of G4S security guards who transported cash to replenish the ATM at the bank.

The charges include the murder of G4S guard, Sicelo Phungula, Richmond policeman, Sergeant Thamsanqa Zondi, and three members of the robber gang who were shot during gun battles with police.

They are; Andile Hlongwane, Siphithemba Mtshali and Senzo Mtolo.

Ngubo told the court yesterday he is attached to the TRT whose members have special training in dealing with “high risk” crimes.

At about 5 pm he and his colleagues were called to the Richmond area. He was armed with an R5 rifle and a pistol.

“When we arrived the first thing we saw was a person lying down who was shot … It was Sergeant [Thami] Zondi.”

He said other policemen at the scene told them two suspects had entered the bushy area next to the road.

One was said to be wearing a “Barcelona” T-shirt which was red and blue and the other had a striped shirt and red cap.

“We advanced together in a basic line … three metres apart … as we were trained. We advanced downwards and I heard a gunshot go off to my left.

“We took cover and lay down in the grass,” he said.

He said facing the direction where the shot came from, they returned fire. “We fired and the fire was returned … I think about four shots came in our direction.”

After the shooting stopped they got up and advanced again.

They then came across a person in a Barcelona T-shirt lying face up in a small stream of water. “I could see he was injured,” he said.

Ngubo said they had called for an ambulance, but did not go closer to inspect the man.

Ngubo said the TRT members continue to search for the second suspect, but the search was eventually called off.

The case is proceeding


24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.