Taxpayers to fund councillors' insurance - report

2012-09-14 15:33

Johannesburg - If national treasury approves municipal councillors' risk insurance, taxpayers are expected to pay about R3m a year, according to a report on Friday.

The New Age reported that SA Local Government Association (Salga) CEO Xolile George said the risk cover could include life cover for a councillor, for injury or damage to their property.

Since the local government elections in May last year, councillors in Ekurhuleni and Soweto in Gauteng, Komatipoort in Mpumalanga and the Greater Tubatse municipality have had their properties destroyed.

"We have done our modelling and so far the average cost would be about R25 per councillor per month that would be required to be paid towards that fund," George told the paper.

The money would be used as risk cover for over 10 000 councillors countrywide.

Salga chairperson Thabo Manyoni said the association had also spoken to President Jacob Zuma about the risk insurance.

"The ball is in the court of the department of co-operative governance and traditional affairs and national treasury to address the issue," Manyoni told the New Age.

"We have made our recommendations."

Manyoni added that Salga made some changes to their constitution, one of which was the inclusion of additional members to represent the association at the National Council of Provinces (NCOP).

He said the delegates agreed to implement a plan to improve service delivery across the country.

  • luke.dekoker - 2012-09-14 15:41

    Why must we pay for their protection? These lame ducks/cadres were deployed by their anc palls..they must pay for life cover themselves from the millions they take as pay!!

      lacrimosewolf - 2012-09-14 19:09

      People are already paying every day because of their refusal to do the jobs they were hired to do - and their organisations covering up for them. Again, trying to solve the wrong problem by throwing OUR money at it, instead of addressing the real issues.

  • Mondli - 2012-09-14 16:02


  • felix.feline.3 - 2012-09-14 16:02

    You pluckers! FOAD

  • attie.gerber.1 - 2012-09-14 16:05

    they just want, want and want. do a honest hard days work before you even think about milking the tax payer. you should pay yourself as you want to be a councellor. accept the risk that goes with it. it is your own fault that get attacked by the public. it will not happen if you do your job

  • shirley.steenkamp - 2012-09-14 16:06

    What a crock of $h**!!!More wasted tax money on an incompetant party! Damned cheek of them,they cant deliver on promises and tax payers must fork out to appease the incompetants. Take it out of the Anc "celebrations" fund. It would be fitting too,as they can celebrate they are still alive!

  • eugene.muller.7 - 2012-09-14 16:08

    Maybe if they did their jobs people will paint their houses not burn them, idiots!

      stirrer.stirrer - 2012-09-14 16:47

      I don't think they understand that concept...

  • eugene.muller.7 - 2012-09-14 16:08

    Maybe if they did their jobs people will paint their houses not burn them, idiots!

  • gordon.turner.37 - 2012-09-14 16:14

    the best insurance they have is if they wake up in the morning and do their job. Some of them might find the experience quite liberating and rewarding.

  • christi.roestorff - 2012-09-14 16:18

    They can pay out there own pockets like the rest of us! Parasite comes to mind

  • andrew.mackie.90 - 2012-09-14 16:25

    If national treasury approves this expense every South African home owner must be allowed to deduct the amount for their expenses to protect their homes. Presently we have to pay security companies for protection due to an inadequate police force so these councillors should do so from their salaries. Do not burden the tax payer with more costs!!

  • danny.levin.351 - 2012-09-14 16:33

    Only in cANCer controlled municipalities.... bunch of corrupt leaches

  • Erna - 2012-09-14 16:58

    1. The anc must control their hooligan voters. 2. The anc must see that they do their jobs. 3. The anc can pay for their own councillors.

  • bernardandrew.ndlovu - 2012-09-14 16:58

    Rubbish, the only risk insurance needed is service delivery to the people finish, they are putting themselves at risk because of not doing what they are suppossed to do.

  • tony.vanniekerk.35 - 2012-09-14 17:35

    Why do they not use SASRIA? That is what the fund is there for.

  • johnny.matsetse - 2012-09-14 18:18

    Aren't they getting paid every month ,like every responsible citizen of this country they should Pay for their own protection cos they know they are incompetent N corrupt

  • dustin.mccrindle.5 - 2012-09-14 18:41

    I know of a counsellor who was earning ±R240000 per anum about 5 or 6 years back, go and factor anual increases in their salaries up until now and they should easily be earning around 300-350K per anum. I'm sure they can afford to pay R25/month out their own pocket...

      lacrimosewolf - 2012-09-14 19:18

      I pay R400 a month for armed response which insurance companies insist I have or load my already astronomical premiums. After-tax money. The govt should be paying for my risk insurance seeing as they refuse to fulfill their mandate to protect all the people of South Africa and simply will not provide a safe and secure environment for us to live in.

  • lsfreak - 2012-09-14 19:28

    I'm sure they can find R25/mths out of their small lil pay packages every month...

  • sihlangu.hokweni - 2012-09-14 19:48

    I also want to be a councillor sothat I can also have ALL my expenses paid for by the TAXPAYER.

  • renier.lubbe.7 - 2012-09-14 22:41

    Why, why, why! I suppose it is claimed that their insurance risk portfolio increased due to their "dangerous" job therefore their employers must cover the risk. There are lots of people with an increased insurance risk portfolio due to their work. They must cover insurance and increased risk "penalties" out of own pocket. To mention a few: soldiers, policemen, firemen, any other rescue official/volunteer, pilots, miners, etc.

  • Vince.York - 2012-09-14 23:46

    NO- THEY MUST PAY THE CITIZENS for the racism and assault and crimes against humanity that they are perpetrating

  • erich.goosen - 2012-09-15 08:50

    What about insurance for taxpayers paying for damages and poor service caused by incompetent councillors.

  • gary.desousa.5 - 2012-11-28 12:18

    I will not pay for some local guy who does not even repesent me. They get enough money to insure their own place.

  • pages:
  • 1